Deformed/?Blind chicken..Need suggestions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ortiz5954, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Ortiz5954

Ortiz5954 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    I have this one poor chick who seems to have a deformity and I am thinking she is blind, she manages to drink but not eat and sometimes walk backwards.Definitely more sleepy than others but such a luv bug.Any suggestion to get her to eat, tried tapping food and hand feeding with no luck at all? I did give her electrolytes and poly vi. Breaks my heart [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Oh, I am so sorry, I would guess she is doomed, poor baby, I would continue trying to feed her with a medicine dropper, but unless she starts eating and you are willing to feed her like that for the rest of her life, you may just need to put her to sleep. I am so sorry, I know it is hard to watch.:hugs

3. CuckooOrpington

CuckooOrpington Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Australia
    My suggestions, if you decide not to cull her, is to teach her on a routine. Birds thrive on a routine. Place more feeders and waterers around her brooder. Feed and water her from a dropper about 5 times a day and reduce that to 3 times a day the next week and so on until she learns where to find the feeder and water. It gets easier as they grow. I had a Blue Laced Gold Wyandotte who died at an old age after being blind since she was only a pullet. She became so independent I could leave her to take care of herself for days (she became pretty overweight haha) though I did talk to her and feed her extra treats etc to ensure she was getting enough. She even learnt to dodge the roosters and run undercover when she heard the wing beats of a wild bird or alarm call of a rooster. I believe chickens, when treated right, can overcome blindness with guidance. Of course, if there is something wrong with her other than her eyes she will probably die. If she is in any pain, put her to sleep. Unfortunately, not all of them are as lucky.

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Wow! Impressive chicken! You did a good job with her!

5. Ortiz5954

May 14, 2015
    Thanks it is hard to watch, I will continuewith dropper.Hoping she will eat soon.Maybe I should try mashed crumbles. I have a nieghbor who is willing to cull her for us if I feel like she is pain..but for now she is enjoying just being loved.The cat lives all the chickens but does not let any of them sit with him to cuddle but her.Think he knows!

6. Ortiz5954

May 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Awwwww. Breaks my heart, I hope she pulls through so bad! I would try getting some Nutri-drench or Sav-A-Chick into her if at all possible.

8. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hoping your little one pulls through, too! We had a duckling hatch a few months ago with abnormal eyes. It became clear pretty quickly that he had no vision in one and limited vision in the other. He was a happy little guy, though, so we decided to see if he could adapt to being in a large free range flock. He's a big drake now and he can go up the ramp to the duck coop at night by himself and he forages with the others. Things are more difficult for him because of his impairment, but he doesn't know he's different and he has a good quality of life.

9. Ortiz5954

May 14, 2015
    She became very weak and her wings began to droop yesterday, I cuddled her lastnight before bed and then seperated her from others and put her in a box within the brooder so she wpuld not get tramed on. When we woke up this morning she had passed..RIP Josie we luv u!!

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    I am so so sorry! So heartbreaking. Poor little baby, at least she is not in misery any more. :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by