1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deformed chick, can anything be done to help?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Israels, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Israels

Israels Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    Hello all,
    So I bought some yellow golden eggs on eBay, and gave them to a broody bantman to sit on. The first one hatched last night but seem to be deformed, I think it may be wry neck.
    - can anyone confirm if this is indeed wry neck?
    - is there anything that can be done to help it, or is culling the only option?
    - what are some possible causes for this, I've read genetics and malnutrition are possible, can anyone confirm? Could this be due to shipping?
    - thanks all for your help [​IMG]

2. Israels

Apr 19, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG]

3. yamaha2077

yamaha2077 New Egg

Jul 17, 2015
    Looks like wry neck to me. I had a Golden Chick last year i lost to it. I have read where it could be Selenium Deficiency. But not sure if thats true or not

4. gardendragon

gardendragon New Egg

Mar 19, 2012
    One of mine broken it's neck looked just like that, when it flighted in the broader, at 1 week old. They are now about 6 weeks old, in their outside pen. It walks funny, but so far it is still alive.

5. ADuckOnQuack

ADuckOnQuack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    England
    You can improve congenital forms of wry neck by stretching the neck muscles. If started within a few months of birth, this treatment can be very successful.

6. ADuckOnQuack

May 20, 2016
    England
  7. Israels

Apr 19, 2016
    Thanks guys, I think it is wry neck . after reading some of the success stories on here I decided it to try and give it a chance. I bought selenium supplement and poly-vi-sol, and vitamin E. As of now I have it an its brother (sister?) in the incubator, instead of water Im giving him a mixture of pedyalite, with deissolved vitamin E, selenium, and poly-vi sol. I tried giving directly in the beak but its nearly impossible to pry its tiny beak open, plus Im afraid it'll go down the wrong way. Any tips to make this smoother/less stressful? In the Past 24hrs its neck has not really gotten better, but he does seem more active and I saw him eating and drinking on his own, and he has stop sleeping on it back so Ill take that as some improvement, fingers crossed. ADuckONQuack, do you have any more info on what can be done if the cause is genetic? everything I read seems to assume its a vitamin e efficiency.

8. ADuckOnQuack

May 20, 2016
    England
    Yes wry neck is genetic. The deficiency in vitamin E and the mineral element selenium In a chick this is likely to be caused by the parent birds being deficient in those elements as well. The simple solution to stop it from carrying on is to not breed from it.

9. ADuckOnQuack

May 20, 2016
    England
    If it's struggling to eat put some multi coloured sprinkles in with its food to encourage it to peak at it. I suppose I might work for water as well.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by