Deformed chick foot

ChickadeeLover

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
My two week old Silver seabright's foot is very strange, one of the toes on the end and floppy and pale and the other toes curl sideways. She is walking fine but I was wondering if there was anything I could do?

Thanks! I am not sure how but I will try!
hu.gif

Howdy,

Okay - you can go to Walmart and buy some pipecleaners in assorted colors. Try to match skin color to reduce pecking.

Go to this website http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/1/
for
orthodic design of corrective shoe. You will need to tape this to the bottom of his foot with medical tape making sure each toe is secure, but not cutting off circulation. He won't like it so just ignore his protesting.

This is a common condition if your chick outgrows the egg and is too cramped. This happens if your temps are too low which extends your incubation by a day or two. Often these chicks will hatch and still be healthy; however, they may have a foot problem or two.

I have used this technique many times and usually they can be completely corrected in about 3 days. Good Luck!

just wanted to say that my wyandotte has two curled toes and does just fine. I was very worried when she was young, but she has no problems whatsoever from it. Shes the Alpha Hen : )

Darlene

Back
Top Bottom