Deformed Chick - help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Honky Dory, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Honky Dory

Honky Dory New Egg

Feb 7, 2008
    TX
    Hi guys, I've been hanging around here alot just waiting to be one of the proud chicken owners....and now I am YAY! I got my first babies yesterday and everyone is doing great except one little peep. He is having trouble walking (eats and drinks just fine) but on one foot the toes seem to be curled in. One wing also looks a little shorter than the other.
    Anyone have any idea what is going on? They have a non-slip surface - paper towels -, and as much as I want to I am not overhandling. I'm so worried about my baby.
    He also needs a name.

2. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    There may be no help for the wing problem, but the curled toes may be remedied by the application of a "boot" or splint made from tape. Straighten the toes, then place the foot on a piece of masking tape so that masking tape is on the bottom sticky side up, and then put a piece of clear packing tape on the top. The two pieces of tape will adhere, smooth in place so that they are holding the toes in place and straight. Trim to fit.

3. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    hi honky d!
    you will probably get a variety of answers . . . people who raise to show might say to "cull" a chick that has such clear "defects." others will say keep it as a pet!
    i think it is up to you, based on your values.
    i would say that if the chick seems to be otherwise happy (not suffering) then keep her and enjoy her just as she is.

regarding the curled foot - i saw a post recently where someone used "bandaid shoes" to straighten out the toes on some little silkie chicks! perhaps that might be an option for your little one. maybe post "how do i make bandaid shoes?" or something similar to get info on that.
    (oops, i was posting at the same time as coopist)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  4. Kerr

Kerr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    ontario
    hmmmm
    I had an Americauna hatch 2 months ago and she has silkie feet!
    With an extra curled toe!
    Sorry I don't know about different sized wings but mine sure has ugly feet [​IMG]
    Not sure what a gimpy wing would affect if shes just for laying eggs.
    My coworker is laughing at me as we type cuz she purchased a frozen bird for xmas and got one with a SHORT WING! She said other than being a little freaked out cuz it didn't look like right in the roasting pan....it sure tasted great [​IMG]

Hope he grows up just fine

Kerri

call him McLuvin cuz he's superbad [​IMG]

5. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:And there's the name "Gimpy"

6. Honky Dory

Honky Dory New Egg

Feb 7, 2008
    TX
    Thanks guys, I'll try the "boot" tonight. How long will he have to wear it? He seems happy and healthy otherwise...he is going to be my special gimpy chicken, and if he turns out to be a she then I hope I'll get some special eggs as a bonus.
    I LOVE the name McLuvin lol! Though he kinda reminds me of Napolean Dynamite too.

7. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Sorry I didn't reply to the question earlier. The boot usually needs to be worn for several days. The earlier you put it on, the faster it usually works. If you take it off too soon, the foot will re-curl. If you leave it on until some growth occurs, the foot will straighten.

8. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Name choice, "Nemo" [​IMG]

9. StoneBridge Farm

StoneBridge Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    SE Ohio
    I vote Nemo too!

10. Meesh

Meesh Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Hey! I found a photo of a chickie bootie!!

It's on Featherside.com with the caption:

A Black Orpington chick
    Its toes were curled, so they're being "splinted" to straighten them
    Photo courtesy of John Fox and Max Wilkinson

Cheers,
    Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by