Deformed chick? Pics added~

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by XilverAngel, Sep 22, 2011.

1. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Hey all, i have a chick that was hatched on September 4, and s/he i just noticed has an extra toe on one foot... s/he also has a comb that is split down the middle, so instead of one straight comb, it looks like it has two straight combs with a space in between. Is this just a deformity, or is it something more serious? Will s/he be able to lay if it's a girl??

Pics coming in a bit, please wait...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
  3. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
  4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Unless she can't walk or eat, I wouldn't worry about it. I have some mixed breeds that have the craziest combs, and, as far as toes go, silkies have had toe issues forever. Maybe there's some silkie mixed in?

5. AuberyMirkwood

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Quote:Comb definitely points to buttercup [​IMG] As for the toes as long as she's walking fine she'll be fine. I've a few odd footed ones myself and no real problems

6. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    Oh, alright then, good to know she'll be fine :] Thanks for all the input! Oh and it is a girl right? it's around 2 almost 3 weeks old.. [​IMG]

7. AuberyMirkwood

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Quote:I can't really tell yet but there does seem to be more color to the comb then I would expect, even then my babies are 7 weeks and some of the boys are only just starting to show.

8. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    it looks fine to me. cute! [​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Not a deformity at all.

There's a good number of breeds with a 5th toe, also, the comb too was from another breed.

I'm betting you have there a cross of Houdan and something else. [​IMG] Houdans have a V comb and 5 toes, and when crossed with others, the V comb can make, say, a normal single comb split in two, to look like this -

[​IMG]

10. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    Oh my, what a rooster! XD Alright then, thanks for the info! I'm new to this, so i didn't know five toes isn't uncommon. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by