Deformed Chick - please help UPLOADED PICS!!!! *UPDATED* Should i cull

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kittykat2003uk, Aug 16, 2011.

1. kittykat2003uk

kittykat2003uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    My other half hatched out 23 chicks, about 10 days ago but one of them has deformed legs [​IMG]. I can't post a pic yet as the internet connection we have here is useless. But on one leg the toes are curled in and one the other leg the whole leg is bent outwards. I will post pics when i get home. But i was wondering if anyone would be able to help with trying to repair or at least help this little lady/Boy

Thanks in advance.

Sarah

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  2. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  3. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
  4. Namres

Namres Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    What are the reason for these de-formations? I also had them before and culled the chicks [​IMG]

5. kittykat2003uk

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    Thanks the spraddle leg is the same as one of her/his legs not both doing it, regarding the toes on both feet they point inwards but cant seem to find anything about that. I will try sorting the spraddle leg out tomorrow though cant wait [​IMG]

6. kittykat2003uk

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    No idea for the reason of them. Someone said it was a hot spot in the incubator but funny that the bator was packed, and out of 23 chicks only 1 had deformities [​IMG]

7. Namres

Namres Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    The deformations that we had came from chicks hatched under hens.

8. kittykat2003uk

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    I have tapped his legs together and also at the next joint up had to wedge a cotton bud peice in there to keep that bits of his legs apart as the one leg would bend in. Anyone else had the same and has a better idea? I have put him in a little box in the airing cupboard coz the other chicks kept knocking him over.

9. fmizula

fmizula Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    i have chickens that we have been able to mostly straighten out the curled food issues. however, we have tried on two occasions to fix splayed leg conditions in chicks and were with out success. we were really atached to the first one after how much time we spend with him ( like for two months we tried, we named him forest). after a while if it dosent straighten his legs and tummy rubs and looses hair and is just quite uncomfortable.

i wish you luck though

10. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i had one a couple weeks ago, i taped her legs and made her a little chick swing that i've seen on here before, 2 days of chick swing + legs taped = better chicky!!! Her one leg is still a bit off, but she can walk and run just fine, it's just one leg is thicker than the other, and it's bent out to the side just a tiny bit so she looks funny. But she's happy and healthy and slept for an hour on my shoulder tonight. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by