Deformed Chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gardenpig, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Gardenpig

Gardenpig Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    OC
    My Brahma chick was acting sick about a 2 weeks ago, but it survived. It is 3 weeks now and it hasn't grown all that big. It is the same size as my 2 week old chick and it's right side of the chest is so much bigger than the left. It should be even right? and its wings are growing either. Like its body got a bit bigger but its wings are still small. What is wrong? Is my chick just growing bigger internally while her outside is not? sigh...that would be really sad...[​IMG]

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    The chest being bigger is probably just its crop. When they eat they will have a lump on one side of the chest, it is just food in the crop and normal. I don't really know about with the development, all chicks grow at different rates. Maybe if it was sick it is just growing slower. [​IMG]

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I think you can put your concerns to rest about its chest. The crop where food is initially stored is located there so it will bulge out after the chick has had a good meal. I didn't know about that until I'd had chickens quite a long time.

4. Gardenpig

Jun 8, 2010
    OC
    THANK YOU!!! I was really getting worried especially since she wasn't growing as fast as the other chick her age. and the fact that her wings are small for her size. I hope it is just bc she was sick and is just growing slower. Thank you!!!

5. Gardenpig

Jun 8, 2010
    OC
    ah wait...i just checked it again and it really feels like and looks like a big round ball only on her right side. and it hasnt been going away since i first saw it. how can i make it go away? i read something about sour crop?? is taht what is going on? but my chick poops a lot...what could be the problem???

6. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    It will take a while to go away, mine usually have pretty full crops, its gets grinded up/digested over night and in the morning is flat again til they eat. [​IMG]

7. Gardenpig

Jun 8, 2010
    OC
    ok haha! sorry for freaking out so much. it is my first time with chicks so everything is scarying me. i just checked her and its gone! thanks again!!

8. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Glad your chick's fine!
    Sounds like you're being a good "mother hen." [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by