deformed chick

woogie g3

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 5, 2010
ok so this is my first chick hatched so im not sure but i dont think its normal. ok its hard to explane but like in the back of his neck is all puffy like if there was a bunch of fluid under the skin and it looks like he is having a hard time leftin up his head?? is it normal?

srry give me a min im tryin to figer out how to put pics up here ...lol im new

Last edited:
srry i cant figure it out and where i like its almost 1 a.m and im tired

Last edited:
There are instructions for posting photos at:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

Don't worry too much just yet about it having a hard time holding its head up. It's normal for them to be very tired when first born (for the first 2-4 days), and it will take a while for your chick to build up stamina and muscle strength. Your chick may be fine.

Once you have another couple hatch, you'll be able to check them for helpful comparison.

Congrats on your first little one!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Give it 24 hours and if its up and fluffed up, then it's likely normal. They look really weird at first but then they morph into adorable fluff balls. I had one hatch with a swollen face and puffy eyelids, it looked like it had been brawling. Within the next day or so all the swelling went away and he was normal. It's normal that they can't hold their head up and crash around for awhile. But they should be able to pick up their head off the ground, just not coordinated enough to keep it up.

yea alot like that but now its almost a day old and its fluffed out and can move good i think its going to be ok

Back
Top Bottom