Deformed chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chick1043, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Is it easy to get a deformed chick? I mean I'm hatching my own and its my first time and I don't really want a deformed chick.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I don't know if it is "easy" but it can happen, I've been hatching for many years and so far no deformities but I've lost a few [​IMG]

3. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Because you have been hatching for years might as well ask a couple questions! If that's okay. After they hatch how long do I feed them medicated chick starter? The day I put them in the incubator does not count as 1 out of 21 days? The temp is exposed to be at 99.5? Thanks.

4. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

I count it as day 1 but maybe that i why my chicks never hatch on schedule, lol:D

5. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    I've gotten a deformed chick, but only the one I "helped" out of the egg. Now I know, don't help them, if they can't get out, they shouldn't.

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Deformities happen.
    [​IMG]

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Is that a chick you helped out?

8. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Poor thing..

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I had opened the air cell end of the egg when it was the last egg with no pip and noticed the shallow breathing and hatched the chick manually. He was still breathing during pictures and stopped breathing before pics were done.

10. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    There is always risks to hatching. I've had a chick with a prolapsed umbilicle that I had to cull. Also a mostly blind chick I kept. A chick with curly toes(that was probably a humidity issue on my part.. that was my first hatch!

I've always gone by if you put them in the incubator before noon that is 'day 1'. Also I dont feed medicated chick start. I feed plain (un-medicated) flock raiser.

Good luck!

ETA: I've also noticed the ones you help sometimes have the most problems. I no longer help a hatch because thats how I ended up with the little blind one.. If they're not strong enough to make it out of the shell they dont make it in life.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by