deformed chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmerboy84, Dec 6, 2012.

1. farmerboy84

farmerboy84 New Egg

Dec 6, 2012
    ok i have a chick that i am having to assist a hatch and its looking more and more like a ball of skin and veins with a beak in the middle. i was just wonder if that is normal sometimes or if something is wrong i have never seen this before? but i havent had anything to do with chickens since i was 12 and im 28 now. please some one help me.

2. Animol

Animol Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    England
    Have you already started hatching it out. Best thing is to leave it in the incubator for a 48 hour period before even beginning to think about helping it hatch out. If the incubatore/hatcher is still at the right humidity I would put it right back in. If it hasn't hatched yet it hasn't finished absorbing the yolk and taking it out of the egg in that stage will kill it. If you can see veins this means it hasn't even stopped the blood flow out of its body. Stop if you don't want to kill it!
    Might be too late now...
    I doubt it's deformed, they're just all curled up in the egg so your description doesn't mean it's deformed, the down will still be wet and plastered to its body which will probably be why it looks like just skin.

3. farmerboy84

farmerboy84 New Egg

Dec 6, 2012
    it was in there for about a day and a half i got most of the shell off last night and it was out this morning looks like a normal baby chick. but thanks for the feed back.

4. farmerboy84

farmerboy84 New Egg

Dec 6, 2012
    i think it just pipped a little early. it wasnt supossed to hatch until today and it pipped 2 days ago. but now i know to look for the veins next time. thank you very much.

5. JBarringerNC

JBarringerNC Chillin' With My Peeps

I had this same thing just happen 2 days ago, the chick I assisted ended up with WRY neck.. Now i've gotta decide wether or not to medicate this little chick, or should I put him down due to his inability to live a normal chicken life. I'm glad yours is up and running normally.

PS:
    My last real experiences with hands on chicken raising was when I was about 12 and I am now also 28 years old...
    And city life doesn't go hand in hand with country living (including chickens).

6. Animol

Animol Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    England
    Wry neck really isn't a good thing, if you're keeping it as a pet and have the time to look after it there have been cases of them living a few years before relapse. As long as you don't breed from it you should work things out fine, if it isn't a pet you are willing to put in a lot of time for then the kindest thing is to put it down.
    I'm lucky I live in the countryside, everyone has chickens around us. We even have the next door neighbour collecting our eggs because some of our hens go over there to lay, one even hatched chicks over there once. The same hen is now broody on only TWO eggs in December...honestly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by