deformed chicks or retarded chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jacob Temple, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Jacob Temple

Jacob Temple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    i had a hen hatch some chicks a couple of daays ago and so of them wouldnt or i guess couldnt walk or anything it is the first time this has happened to me an i have had chickens for 10 years now i was wondering by chance do u have to think about imbreeding ? i know i aint good but i was wondering if that may be the case

2. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    Very strange indeed. Were your chickens wormed with Wazzine or something prior to laying the eggs that hatched?

3. Jacob Temple

Apr 13, 2012
    no i have never done anything to them but feed and water

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i had a chick hatch, he cant move one leg or use it. I dnt understand y. the egg did have a crack in it. But i dnt think thats the reason. Did any of ur eggs have cracks?

5. Jacob Temple

Apr 13, 2012
    umm i dont think so but it may have

6. DelDels

DelDels Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2011
    Lower Slower Delaware
    Give the chicks some water soluble poultry vitamins right away. Put it in their drinking water. I have read that B vitamin deficiency can cause leg weakness in chicks. You should be able to find this for about $5.00 at any good feed store that carries chicken supplies.

Also make sure that they are getting food as they can't get around. I would hard boil some egg and chop it up and feed them right away.

7. Jacob Temple

Apr 13, 2012
    well is was dis umm well i cant spell it but it was bigger in spots and it did die it couldn't keep up and got so cold and well as long as i have had them i have learned kinda when time has been to long and put it out of more pain :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by