Deformed/Discoloured Shells

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickMandy, Jun 25, 2011.

1. ChickMandy

ChickMandy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Amaranth Ontario
    We have four ISA Brown hens. They are about 28 wks old and we've had them since they were 19 wks. They have started laying largish brown eggs pretty frequently, but recently there have been a few oddities. Not sure which hen is responsible, but we've had two or three small eggs with a deformed shell (round shape, shell with "hardened" wrinkles and a flat, smooth spot) and a few eggs that are so light in colour they are almost white.

Pic shows deformed egg on the left. Flat, smooth spot in centre with wrinkles around the spot.
    [​IMG]

Pic shows lightened egg on the left. It supposed to be brown [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know what would cause this to happen? Is it diet-related or just a fluke? They are eating what the feed mill calls "lay mash" and seemed to be doing well on it.

Thanks for any insight!

Mandy

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I'd offer free-choice oyster shell in a separate feeder. Had similar problems with prolific layers... they just need lots of calcium. My problem cleared up when I kept the oyster shell coming. (I sprinkel oyster shell on many treats offered so they're sure to get some!)

3. coralanna

coralanna Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    I`ve had the same thing with my chickens, we have 31 red sex links. we get the odd one that is a little ruff looking and also some that are thin shelled and light coloured. We sell eggs so we keep the double youks and any that just don`t look perfect. There is nothing wrong with the eggs. We get about 8 jumbo`s a week and usually another 7 or so that just don`t look great. Sometimes we find an egg in the run and it`s layed in limestone and the shell looks like a three toned egg. we keep these as part of the home breakfast network. I hope this helps

Alan

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    The first egg was probably due to the egg partially breaking in the hen and then being overlaid with more calcium. Disturbances while they are creating the shells can cause them to partially collapse.

The second one didn't spend enough time in the shell gland. The brown pigment is the last "coating" applied. She may have retained the previous egg longer than usual giving this one a shorter time in shell gland, or she laid this one early for some reason.

Both can be caused by disturbances to the flock; something that scares them and gets them bouncing of the walls.

It happens from time to time, but it's not too much to worry about.

5. ChickMandy

ChickMandy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Amaranth Ontario
    Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by