1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deformed egg??*pic*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by links_56, Jan 26, 2009.

1. links_56

links_56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    Mercer County, IL
    This morning I went out to gather eggs and there was this deformed egg. Is this Normal? What caused it? Should I be worried. It's hard to take a good picture of it. Its pretty lumpy and it has wrinkles and little cracks all over it. Thanks Justin.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Is the egg actually round all the way around?

Is this bird just starting to lay? Do you supply oyster shell to them?

3. links_56

links_56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    Mercer County, IL
    The egg is flat on two sides like a block and the rest is rounded like a normal egg. The hen has been laying for awhile now. Also the egg is almost white when there usually brown. There is plenty of oyster shell available.

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Chances are its just a fluke egg. Watch what her next egg looks like. I've had a couple odd ball eggs from different hens, and then never saw anything strange again?! I wouldn't get concerned until it happens again.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  5. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Sometimes I get an egg like that...with ripples. I get round all the time. I think older hens sometimes do this. I wouldn't worry if you get one once in awhile. eggs from the store are sorted so these never appear in store eggs. I got one that looked like a torpeto once. [​IMG]

6. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    A square egg, poor hen! It's hard enough to lay a round one [​IMG]

7. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Wrinkles are perfectly normal. I read somewhere that they can be caused by a second egg being too close behind and bumping the first before it gets laid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by