Deformed egg

andreajp

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 3, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
Hi, I am reasonably new to keeping chickens. But get so much pleasure from my girls that I wished I had started yrs ago.

Yesterday when collecting my eggs was astounded by the little deformed egg that one of them has layed. About 2inches long but it bends around like a u shape. Has dimples of what I think to be calcium deposits all over it but would only be 1/2 in diameter across the thickest part of the egg. Please somebody help... Are my girls sick.
Andrea

Hi Andrea,
Glad you joined us. Welcome! I wouldn't worry too much. These things happen occasionally. I'd keep the egg as a souvenier. Any chance you can post a pic of it? It sounds intriguing.

Ellen

It sounds like one of your girls was at the beginning or the end of a laying cycle. You can get rubber eggs, halfshelled eggs and strange shaped eggs. and it's normal, nothing to worry about.
Welcome too!
frow.gif

Thanks you for setting my mind at rest.... Was worried that one of my girls were sick.
When you say let it dry out ...do you mean, blow out the yolk ???
D.gif

Some people blow out the yolk, I just let the egg sit on the shelf for the rest of it's life. I have some eggs sitting on my shelf from a few years ago, they stand almost up on end now that they are so dried out. Wouldn't open it though.

Back
Top Bottom