Deformed embryo or am i crazy?

chelseajgoss

Chirping
Sep 18, 2016
Tucson, AZ
I noticed when i was candling my ameraucana eggs, i could see something diffrent from the other breeds i was hatching out. It looked like they had something extra on the top of their head when candling? But i though it was just the diffrent breed. One died. So i cracked it open. Wish i took a picture. I will try when i get home. But it looked like a little tumor on the top of the head. Pale colored. Not blood red or anything. But all the other eggtopsys ive done, i have not seen this. Almost looks like the brain is outside the head and covered by skin? Im not sure. But all of them have it. So im just wondering if theyre all going to die or not. I only have 2 left

I can't say a whole lot for chicks- but I have seen something like this between week 1 and 2 of incubation in ducks. Not sure we a referring the the same thing though. I will include a picture.

Also sometimes ducks don't develop quite right and end up with a hole in their skull with can cause a) a fat deposit to grow overtop of the hole making the duck look like he has a funny Afro. Or b) the brain to develop outside the skull and cause death......I have no idea if that can happen in chicks also

Well whatever it was, it popped. Im assumingnits head just didnt form right. Im assuming it died on day 11 or 12. And it didnt even have tissue for its beak. So i just think it wasnt growing right or something

This is the closet description i could find. Just imagine a 11 to 12 day old chicken embryo instead of the dino hahah

I couldnt get a pic before it popped. But this is it afterwards

It looks under developed or deformed to me. But i know i saw movement on night of day 10 when i candled. No cold spots in the bator. I guess we will see goe the others turn out, they are on day 14 and still moving

Back
Top Bottom