Deformed feet, crooked legs, and drowning...ideas and or help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rich1451, Jan 17, 2011.

1. rich1451

rich1451 New Egg

Jan 15, 2011
    I have had...perhaps because I am new to this hatching, countless problems with the several batches I have tried to hatch. Large percentage of no hatch. First hatchers contaminating the water in the resevoir below the screen...and consequently introducing God knows what amount of bacteria and infections. Chicks coming out of the eggs and heading streight for the little trays of water I am using to bring up the humidity to 70%...consequently drowning if this happens at night when I am sleeping. Several chicks coming out with splayed legs. I have fixed that with the band-aid brace, but how my Barnavelders are hatching walking on the knuckle of their leg or the knee...imposible the survive, and also deformed feet, with toes turned to the side or aparently doubled over to the side. Are these problems related to temp, purity of the incubator, or some issue with the chicken..or the egg? Any ideas or help?- Rich

2. ksf59

ksf59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    north west iowa
    I had the same issues with some of my barnies. Other breeds incubated and hatched together with no issues. I chalked mine up to to close of breeding from the breeder.

3. Crazy Rooster

Crazy Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2010
    Farmersville Texas
    i have a topic called walking funny someone left me a web page on it go and get the site it will help you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by