Deformed feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MilesFluffybutt, Jul 28, 2017.

1. MilesFluffybutt

MilesFluffybutt Songster

Nov 16, 2016
    Vermont
    Last weekend I rescued a 12WO Silkie with deformed feet. I suspect it's too late to correct with a bootie. Pigeon doesn't have too much trouble getting around - he runs, walks and jumps and is able to roost for short periods. I suspect there is some discomfort in the left foot - the worst of the two. I caught a glimpse of the bottom of the left foot when he was settling himself. It doesn't look great, but it might have just been dirty. I'll see if I can get close enough to him for a closer look this evening at roost time.

Aside from euthanasia, is there anything I can do to ease his discomfort? Like pedicures and foot soaks with Epsom salts?

20170728_092916.jpg 20170728_093410.jpg 20170728_093448.jpg 20170728_093527.jpg 20170728_093724.jpg

2. CiceroXY

CiceroXY Songster

Sep 10, 2016
    Italy
    It seems to me that he might have broken his toe bones

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    MilesFluffybutt likes this.
  3. MilesFluffybutt

MilesFluffybutt Songster

Nov 16, 2016
    Vermont
    That could be. The woman I took him and two others from said he came like that when she picked him up at Tractor Supply as a days-old chick. (Full disclosure: the woman is my aunt and I'm super pissed she didn't make any effort to correct/diagnose the issue.)

4. CiceroXY

CiceroXY Songster

Sep 10, 2016
    Italy
    Unfortunately I think you were right when you wrote that it's too late to correct with a bootie and also that that treatment should have been done when he was a chick ;) How old is he now?
    I have never had a chicken with this issue so we have to wait for someone more experienced :)
    However if he can eat, walk, jump, run and he really seems happy, I don't believe euthanasia is the answer.

5. MilesFluffybutt

MilesFluffybutt Songster

Nov 16, 2016
    Vermont
    I've named him Pigeon and he's about 12 or 13 weeks old. I don't believe euthanasia is the answer, either. If his quality of life was just awful, I'd make that decision.

I spoke with an avian vet today. She thinks it's too late too, but she is concerned about one of his toes being broken. And after getting a good look at the bottom of his left foot this evening, I am very concerned about infection. I scheduled an appointment for Friday, before I saw the bottom. I'm going to call again and see if the vet can get him in sooner. I'm worried the stress of his new situation might weaken his already compromised immune system.

20170728_193603.jpg

6. CiceroXY

CiceroXY Songster

Sep 10, 2016
    Italy
    Keep us updated on what your vet will say, it could be helpful for many on BYC! :thumbsup

Leighe likes this.
  7. Leighe

Leighe Songster

May 17, 2015
    Denton, TX
    Thank you for rescuing the chickens. There are just some people (even those we love) who don't know what to do, who don't quite love chickens like we do....so happy Pigeon has a home with you. :hugs

MilesFluffybutt and CiceroXY like this.
  8. MilesFluffybutt

MilesFluffybutt Songster

Nov 16, 2016
    Vermont
    You're absolutely right, Leighe. I'm glad she reached out to me when she was in trouble and I'm doing my best to hold that in my head. Though, as someone with a background in animal advocacy, it's hard for me to set my anger aside.

Anyway, Pigeon and I just came from the vet. As we all expected, it's too late for a corrective bootie.

The bottom of his left foot looks bad because he has yet to develop a callus on the foot. His outermost toe on that foot is folded under and because that flesh is softer, it's harder to develop a callus. So he is in some discomfort BUT there's no infection. Woohoo. So relieved. Infected poultry wounds tend to ooze pus that looks more like cottage cheese. I had no idea and am glad I never much cared for cottage cheese.

So he's on meloxicam, an NSAID, and will likely have to be on it for the rest of his life as a maintenance drug. I'm totally okay with that so long as it works to ease his discomfort. He took his first dose like a champ. In fact, he was a total gentleman.

And he pooped on command when the vet asked about taking a stool sample. LOL!

CiceroXY and Leighe like this.
  9. Leighe

Leighe Songster

May 17, 2015
    Denton, TX
    :lau:lau

10. CiceroXY

CiceroXY Songster

Sep 10, 2016
    Italy
    No infection, this makes me happy :goodpost:

MilesFluffybutt and Leighe like this.