Deformed feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by henpeckedoregon, Dec 28, 2014.

1. henpeckedoregon

henpeckedoregon Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2014
    Hello everyone.

A few hours ago I hatched a mottled English Orpington in our incubator. This was our tenth chick today. Everyone else is happy and healthy, however this little guy has something the matter with his legs. It looks almost like his feet are upside down. They are curled upwards, but the toenails are going the right direction.

I googled what I should do, so we have made him chick shoes and out them on with fabric Bandaids. Once those were on, his legs went out to the sides like straddle leg, so we did the hobble thing out of another band aid.

I put him in the warm brooder, in a separate little box so he doesn't get ran over. His legs are kind of out behind him now and he's pushing himself around on his breast.......

Is there something more I can or should do?

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.

2. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    If it's been a few days or so and it's not better or showing any improvement, I would put it down. When I get one that's cripple and I know it's not getting better. I take it out in the woods and place it in a pan and leave it for an hour or so and let nature take it's course. A hawk or owl will find a use for it. I don't like putting them down so I figure it's best that nature takes it.

I hatch Jubilee's and Gold Laced, Lavenders, and I hate loosing any chicks, but when you hatch lot's of eggs, sometimes one will be a cripple.

3. henpeckedoregon

Oct 24, 2014
    I have made the chick a "sling" and will let it's legs hang for a few days to see if the problem gets any better. The little fella has so much will to live I hate to not at least try to help him.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure that the chick has a non-slip surface under his feet, and I would give it poultry vitamins or PolyVisol without iron 2-3 drops by mouth daily. Foot and leg bone deformities sometimes get worse with age, but hopefully this problem will get better with shoes and vitamins.

5. henpeckedoregon

Oct 24, 2014
    After much research, we decided it was not just feet and legs, it seemed to be also in the way the legs came out of the body. We used the soda and vinegar method of euthanasia. What a sad day.

In all we hatched 18 chicks, a 100% hatch rate. We had this malformed chick and another with an umbilical hernia, which I have treated and put back in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by