Deformed Gosling?! Help please... ASAP!

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
This little guy just hatched...
WHAT is this?? Umbilical cord?? Hernia? HIs guts??
Please help ASAP!

10638_baby_gosling_1.jpg

10638_baby_gosling_3.jpg

10638_baby_gosling_2.jpg

Last edited:
I would say umbilical hernia if it was a human baby, but then, it is a gosling. Best guess... but I would definitely isolate. You could also try and place a bandaid over the area to see if the light pressure will help it retract (so to speak) back to normal. I wish I had better answers for you, but I am certianly no expert. Just a thought...
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks for trying to help...
Dont have any flippin bandaids..
hmm.png

I have gauze and tape and vet wrap though...
I'm going to go see what i can do... thanks Terra..
hugs.gif

I would put a piece of paper towel folded up over it and gently press it in and hold it a while. Thats what I would do. They heal really fast. I've done it with chicks. Isolating it is a good idea also.

Use the vet wrap and make a pad out of somehting as a pressure bandage and wrap around it to hold it in place for a little while, few hours. Unwrap and check to see if any improvement. If so rewrap and leave it again a little while longer and recheck. You don't want it to stick is why I say to check it. You'll just add another problem trying to remove stuck gauze or papertowl from the raw imbelical (sp) If you can wrap the duckling in a wash cloth to try to keep it from crawling around. I had a chick pull it's guts out doing that. That was my first experience with a cord issue.

I hatched out a chick a little like his but it was a quail and due to temperature fluctuations it hatched before its abdomen closed off completely. keep it clean, covered, and mpist and keep that little guy in his own little place. Feed him wetted down food and sugar water. He might pull through. Or cull him. If he seems miserable and like he wont ever heal up right. Id put him out of his misery. Its not kind to let a doomed animal suffer if you can see it has no chance of making it anyways

Thanks very much, Guys!
This is why i love BYC...
I put gauze on it and wrapped him in vet wrap...
All i can do i cross my fingers... its going ot be a looong night of monitering him.
caf.gif

and yes... if i think hes not going to heal or is suffering. I will put him down. I cant stand to let an animal suffer.

Thanks again for everything!

Back
Top Bottom