Deformed Hen? Sick?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by aksohal, Mar 22, 2013.

1. aksohal

aksohal New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    [​IMG]

Hello Chicken Experts,

Would someone please tell me what is wrong with my hen? We got her as a chick in July 2012, so she's only about 8 months old. All four (I think) are laying eggs. My daughter is the main caretaker and we just noticed the white patch on the side of her head as well as her deformed comb. The other chickens are look normal except for this one. Please help in identifying the problem so that I know how to take care of her.

Thank you,
    Abby

2. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

The description is a bit vague. Any chance on a picture or two being posted. It will be a lot easier to determine problem . Lots of helpful people and lota of experience.... Thanx... Steve

3. aksohal

aksohal New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Here is the picture. I was pretty sure I had uploaded one earlier. Thanks Steve for catching it.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The white spot on the side of her head is her earlobe. Chickens can have different colored earlobes. For example, my Silkies are bright blue! Its completely normal :)
    As far as her comb goes, you didn't mention what breed she is, but she appears to have a pea or rose comb. Also completely normal. Not all chickens have upright straight combs. I'll use my Silkies as an example again, they have walnut combs.
    Your hen looks very healthy to me, no worries!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by