Deformed Leg on my Silkie - Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by *silkie nut*, Dec 13, 2009.

1. *silkie nut*

*silkie nut* Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2009
    We're new to silkies (and all birds for that matter) so please be patient. We're trying our hardest to do the best we can and we're learning as we go.

We recently picked up 3 month old silkies and didn't realize that one of them came with what looks like a deformed left leg. S/He doesn't get around the greatest and will brace his/her wings when off balance, though s/he showed improvement today when we added a second buff to our little silkie family. He perked up almost immediately and moved around in a calmer manner. In general, he gets around well enough and has a great appetite and drinks well.

Is there anything we can do? Can he go on living like this? Is he suffering and is *gulp* euthanasia the only option at this point? [​IMG]

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attached are links to pictures and video...

PICTURES:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=351679&id=618650359&l=635d103cd4

VIDEO (will get better video - this doesn't really show much... sorry [​IMG] )

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You may want to try using a self adhesive ace bandage and wrapping the foot. Start at the leg and work through all the toes. Position them the best you can as to where they are suppose to be. This may or may not help. But, it's worth a shot.

Hope she gets better.

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Well here is what I would do. and no it does not need to be euthanized.

I had a similar thing happen to a chook and he is fine now.

First check to see if it has an injury or scab on the pad of its claw. if you can find no visible injury to the foot pry the toes open gently and see how the bird reacts. If it does not seem in pain I would make a splint and brace him.

I like to use these things called sam splints for human fingers. They are a rubbery material over a bendable metal. Shape a pad or soul and around the ankle of the foot and tape with medical tape. It will look like a boot of sorts or the bottom side of a nigh-top sneaker. make sure each toe is separate and allow the tape to go between as it hold the brace to bottom of foot. It should be below its knee just supporting the shin and foot so that the foot is open and flat against the ground. it may take a few tries to get it right. you can cut the sam splint to shape at the foot area as well so it is shaped just like the foot and does not cause them to trip.

I will see if I have pics somewhere...

But I would make something like that and see how he gets around. if ok leave it on him for a week or so then take it off and see how he does.

Good Luck [​IMG]

4. *silkie nut*

*silkie nut* Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2009
    phew! thanks so much for the info and advice!

AHappychick - I'm looking forward to the pictures!

If we were to take this approach - does it mean that he could actually regain normal function of his foot, if it were to be a success??? Does his age have an impact on the success rate?

until then!!!

[​IMG]

5. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I know you didn't notice the problem before you bought the silkies, but did you notice the problem right away after coming home? If not, how long before you noticed the limping? How long have you had the chicks and has the condition been getting any worse? I noticed he/she seems smaller than the black ones - are they all the same age (3 months)? It didn't seem to be able to walk in that video - does the leg seem paralyzed? Does it move the leg voluntarily at all?

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    *silkie nut* :

phew! thanks so much for the info and advice!

AHappychick - I'm looking forward to the pictures!

If we were to take this approach - does it mean that he could actually regain normal function of his foot, if it were to be a success??? Does his age have an impact on the success rate?

until then!!!

[​IMG]

it deppends on what the problem is. But it has worked for me and the roo is fine now. took bout 2 weeks. or so. Still looking for a pic.​

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    A brace and supplemental vitamins sounds like good first steps. I would also be concerned that his might be a disease state. Paralysis from heaven knows what. I hope you quarantined the newcomers.

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    A couple possiblities I would be concerned about are Marek's disease and riboflavin deficiency (curled toe paralysis)

9. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Something i did with my mopsy- i got her in august, she could barely walk, the vitamins, also i massaged her leg gently to keep the blood circulating, and warm baths. Now she has a limp but gets around- i have no idea what caused it, i suspect an injury of some sort. She is a house chicken, so i have monitored her closely, she also gets baths, since the warmth seemed to help.

10. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    You will need to position the toes in the proper position on strong tape and it will probably take longer than three weeks...
    This is caused by vitamin deficiencies (called "curled toe paralysis") .... get some Polyvisol enfamil (this is a childrens A-B-D liquid vitamin) and give four drops in beak once a day for a week then taper off the next. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by