Deformed Leg?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cityboi53, Apr 2, 2015.

1. cityboi53

cityboi53 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2014
    Methuen, MA
    New chick has had its feet curled all day. Was hatched at 5 AM and has fluffed out but its legs have been curled up all day making it hard to walk. Any ideas? Is there a deformity that occurs sometimes?

2. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Picture if you want a definitive answer.

There are multiple possibilities here. Curled toes (a deformity but not a death sentence) is a very real possibility

3. cityboi53

cityboi53 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2014
    Methuen, MA
    [​IMG]

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Is it just the toes?

If so, you could make some band aide shoes to straighten them. Just take the sticky parts of the band aid, put one on the bottom of each foot, position the toes so they are straight, place the other piece on top and stick the two together between each toe. Take them off in a few days to see if they stay straight. If they do, great. If they don't, repeat for another few days.

Good luck.

5. pmcont3

pmcont3 Out Of The Brooder

Our chick in the picture had both feet curled in. We cut a business card in the shape of a normal chicks foot then taped the foot down with the toes straightened out. After 2 days the left foot was perfect, the right foot we left on for 5 days.

6. DreamStone

DreamStone Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio

One of my chicks, GLW, has 1 toe that bends to the left, it's not curled or hindering her walking. But I'm worried it'll hinder her roosting. She's only a couple days old. I might try some of these but won't poop get super stuck to anything taped to her foot?

7. pmcont3

pmcont3 Out Of The Brooder

Yes, poop did stick to the bottom of the business card, just had to clean it all the time. The main thing is to have good separation between the toes. We use a ball point pen and scribed the tape down between the toes. This is a 2 person job. The chick walks around like he has snow shoes on for a while.

8. MisfitMarie

MisfitMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Great suggestions already. I use the Band-Aid shoes as well. Just be sure to treat it ASAP, because it becomes more difficult to fix as the chick gets older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by