Deformed leg

rhi26

Hatching
May 18, 2015
Hello,
I've adopted a deformed chick, supposedly a 'ranger'. It's 10days old and has one deformed leg. From researching online I think it's either a slipped tendon or just deformed.
I work as a nurse at a veterinary centre so was able to X-ray but we aren't chicken experts and I'm not really sure what to do about this.
She's started pecking her toenail on the wonky leg so I've bandaged it up. The joint is now quite swollen as well. Oh on the X-ray the leg that's higher up is the wonky one.
Id love some advice please! I really want her to survive. I wondered if amputation to the stump is a possibility?! I can't feel the tendon as the Internet suggests. Pics below. Thanks so much

Welcome to BYC. It could be a varus/valgus deformity, since the foot is turning outward, and the chick is sitting on the hock. You could get more info by doing a search at the top of this page, or by Googling the term. I would recommend treating the chick with vitamins for poultry, or with Poultry Cell vitamins and mineral supplement 1-2 drops daily. Be sure that your vitamin includes riboflavin (vitamin B2.) With various leg deformities, the hock tendon can become swollen and can rupture later on, but some people just let the chicks live and try to get along with a wonky leg.

Last edited:
Thank you for responding. I'll get some supplements tomorrow. I hope she does ok. I've grown rather attached!

Back
Top Bottom