Deformed or broken? And a chicken vet reference would be GREAT!

Ladycatpurrs

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 8, 2012
South Carolina

This is Scooter, she is almost a month old. She is a Jubilee Orpington that I hatched out from shipped eggs. She came from a VERY good breeder but her "nest mates" were so messed up in travel the breeder told me that they were scrambled when they were "eggtopsied" after they were returned to the farm. There were only 3 viable and one to hatch. Scooter had to be helped out of her egg and I didn't think she/he would make it this far. This is a strappingly healthy chicken and I am feeding her to make sure any nutritional need is met. But here we are, alive, healthy but with a bum leg. She "pogo-s" about to move and seems happy enough. But I hope we can do a little better.

I took her to the premier vet clinic in my area that deals with birds and without being mean, I will say they know no more than I do. I am willing to try whatever needs trying and I will happily load Scooter up and go to a good vet in SC, NC or Georgia.

If anyone can help or has seen this situation before, please respond. If more pictures are needed I took them from different angles. But this is what her leg is doing, just held up. It has good color and feel so the circulation seems to be ok.

I will respond to any questions and thank you in advance for reading this and your help.

I have no idea. Is there something I could do to test for that? And what is the fix, if there is one? Thank you!!
smile.png

Hard to tell from the article. Scooter's leg looks a little different from those pictured but it does indeed seem to be something out of place. I am also afraid of waiting too long, as was mentioned in the articles which is why I would love to find a vet to look at it. I am surrounded by vets and not one does poultry and I am in a rural location.

I took Scooter to a vet and was told this is clubfoot. I have zero experience with this in chickens. The vet suggested some physical therapy to assist with range of motion. Any ideas out there? I read a post talking about making some thing to attach to the foot to splay it properly but Scooter's situation is with her "knee" and foot so I am still looking for answers.

My baby chick had that also. The heat lamp fell on them and hurt her leg. It eventually got worse and worse to the point where she was dragging and hopping. After that she got Cocci and she was too weak and we were to late to save her. I hope our lil' chick gets better. By the way, our chick's leg looked exactly like that except more swollen.

I am sorry your little chick died, ChickenPerson. It is difficult when you give everything you got and still lose them. I am really working with this little one and hope it makes it. I can't use it for breeding, of course, just in case this is a genetic thing but I can give it a very good life as a pet.

Was the vet familiar with the condition with the condition where the Achilles Tendon slips out of the hock groove? Could they tell for certain this wasn't part of the problem?
I don't know if it would be, but I'd think there would be a good possibility.

There is info on Treating a Slipped Achilled Tendon & other leg problems on the Poultry Podiatry page on the site linked in my sig below. Hopefully some can be of help.

Best wishes with your little one.
hugs.gif

Hello SpeckledHills,

After taking this chick to many expensive vets I finally took him (he turned into a big pretty boy!) to an old farm vet who really just does vacs and dewormers for domestic pets now. This man knew exactly what was wrong with him (as you suggested, slipped tendon) and has helped me immensely since then with all of my chicken questions. Found out he used to do research work and articles for Poultry Magazine. And he charges so little I am mortified to go to him! He just looks at my chickens and says what he thinks and turns out to be right. Lucky me. So, my little slipped-tendon chicken is now our special charge. He can "pogo" all around the yard while I am outside and gets the best treatment I can give him. He stays in a special pen inside my home at night for his further comfort and protection.

Thank you all for helping me to get this resolved, this is an amazing website--so much information from so many knowledgeable and caring chicken people!

Back
Top Bottom