Deformed silver laced Polish chick - without upper beak and only one eye. WARNING - Very difficult

Clockatiel

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 17, 2014

Hi all,

Minion was hatched 2/16/14 with my assistance. She does not have an upper mandible and only has one eye. She can stand for a very short period of time. Thank you for your responses. Here is an update: 2/23/14
Well, the chick had so much life in her, I could not bring myself to put the chick down. I called the baby "Minion" (his/her name) after the one eyed cartoon movie characters in the movie Despicable Me. It has been one week since I helped hatch Minion out of her shell. Obviously, she is beak challenged so eating on her own at the moment is a not possible. She can drink drops of water on her own but I decided to tube feed her for a bit to give her a chance to grow a little bit and gain some strength. My husband made her a chicken chariot so she can stand or rest. I attached a cut out sock for a sling for her to help support her while she learns to walk. Time will tell if she is destined to be a full grown chicken but she likes to try to walk and peeps and looks around....so for now I am her "Minion". The pictures are Minion next to an in her chariot.

Life is good.

W

Last edited:
wow, very sad. sometimes they dont hatch for a reason. i too would of tried to help it hatch but sometimes when we interfere with nature this is what we get. i dont think it will ever live on its own but i am no expert. im sorry
hugs.gif

I would put it down, sorry! The longer you wait, the more attached you will become, and I just don't see how it could ever have quality of life.

Mother of mothers'!!! that looks photoshopped its so crazy. I think you should TRY! go for it. If that creature lives, you could be famous...or at least photos on 'google images' worthy ;) I think it depends on how much care you feel like giving to a chicken. Looks like you will be feeding it all it needs to live and possible water feeding too. But, it very well could peck on the ground like it thinks its eating, and scratch around. It might be ok. I would love to see progression with photos. So what are you gonna do? :)

How did you come by this chick? What is your flock?

oh sorry. I take back my last questions. I thought I read all of your post but now I see I didn't. I wonder if this is one of those wonky chicks Ive read about when the eggs are collected from newly laying hens. Who know's... so many "coulda beens". Could be inbreeding at its worst.

Back
Top Bottom