Deformed????!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by secretquail, Aug 5, 2010.

1. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    So the duckling is still 1/2 in the egg, waiting on him to make the next move. It looks like his belly is distended where it is atteched to the yolk sac. If he separates from the egg soon, will the belly buldge eventually heal itself? Are his intestines pushing out of his belly? Is my babe going to make it????[​IMG]

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Do you have a picture to look at. Some extension is normal and it will go away. Intestines hanging out does not sound good. It's not the umbilical is it?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  3. secretquail

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    I uploaded a pic, but can't figure out how to get it onto the message board.[​IMG] It is the umbillical, but it just seems huge! I can't wait until the little guy gets out.

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Don't worry it will shrink and dry up. Just don't rush it. I know it is easy when you do quails and see how fast they pop out. Makes you wonder if something is wrong with your duck while it actually is normal. Yes, they are curled in their eggs and they sometimes come out a little bit stiff like your foot fell asleep. Very often they rest for 4 hours after hatching, while quail would be jumping all over. I think you will have a nice duck, just let it take its time.

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    it sounds like he'll be fine, but in any case, i hope he makes it!

6. secretquail

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Quote:You know it! Those little buggers will be out and running in 2 minutes!

Ducky is starting to wiggle more. One of the big wiggles will remove him from the yolk sac soon. The rest of him looks alright. Boy this is hard.

So this might be too soon, but since I only have one, I'm hoping already....

for a girl, for the eggs and because they are sooooo pretty....
    for a boy, for the quiet.

7. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    If he has a large or bloody navel when he comes out, try dusting it with duramyacin powder if you have it, or some styptic powder. I've done that before, and I think it helps to dry it up and speed it healing over.

8. secretquail

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    It was the umbilical. It has since shrunk a bit, but the end is still wet. I had to cut the last of the membrane from the area to free him of the egg. When it dries, I'll move him into a brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by