1. Heartlandrabbitry

Heartlandrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct place but we just picked up a few baby chicks tonight. We noticed on the ride home that one of the baby chicks has a slightly crooked beak. It's not to were she can't eat/drink but I was wondering will it get worse? To the point were she can't eat/drink? I can add pictures if needed to see the beak! Thanks for any advice

2. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    i have a grown hen with a deformed beak her bottom is fine but the top is crooked & bent but she learnt how to eat aswell as getting special treatment, she gets her pellets in a bowl & i stand over her for 5 mins at nite so the others dont push her out, she is the cheekiest out of all of them. she will put her head throu the wire on my dog kennels & clean up anything she can reach im concerned ill go out 1 day & she will be headless, [​IMG] its good my dogs only bark at her.

3. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is the beak simply misshapen, or is it crossed? I think if it is just not shaped right, it probably won't get worse. But if it is crossed beak, it can become worse and interfere with feeding. It can be trimmed or filed to help make it work properly. A deep dish can make it easier for her to scoop up feed.
    I have a parakeet with crossed beak who has never been able to eat on her own. Her mate has always fed her, every day for 3 years. He is an awesome little guy!

4. Heartlandrabbitry

Heartlandrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    Quote:It is crossed just a tiny bit as to were we can notice it. She eats fine and drinks fine too! She acts just like a little happy baby chick! I just hope it doesn't get worse for her as she grows!

Awww!! That is so sweet [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by