Defrosting a freezer?

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
So, my dad gave us an old freezer that stands up, has shelves and opens like a fridge. It's ancient, but works great. My only problem is that it is starting to look like an iceburg in there. It's only supposed to have ice 1/4" or less thick, and in some places, there's "snow" that is probably 4 inches thick. I can't get this stuff out. I've been ice-chipping at it with a flathead screwdriver, but I can't get enough off, and I have to do this every few days. So, how are you actually supposed to manually defrost a freezer? The only thing that I can think of to get it completely is to turn it off and let it all melt out, but, we only have a small fridge freezer, and all of our frozen food won't fit in there, even when we're "running low" and need to go grocery shopping...

Pack everything into your smaller freezer or coolers and pack with ice.

Get you a bunch of old towels and put on the ground around the freezer. Turn it off and prop open the door. Boil a big pot of water or 2. Once it boils, set it on a shelf in the freezer and close the door. come back 10 min. later and do it again. DO NOT use anything sharp to break up the ice!! you could puncture a freon (sp?) line and the freezer is done for.

Is it in the garage?

Just push it outside and do the hot water like said above. The ice will melt fast and not get your garage all wet.

Well, we're in an apartment, so the garage is out.
hmm.png
Is there any way I can keep it from leaking on the carpet, or do I have to figure out how I'm going to get it onto the outside stairs and hope nobody complains? No blow-dryer either, lol, but I can do the boiling water trick.

Back
Top Bottom