Dehydrated Hen - Please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by angelholifield, Jun 24, 2016.

1. angelholifield

angelholifield Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    Okay, my golden comet Maggie, the sweetest of the bunch, kept herself hidden in the coop all day yesterday. She wouldn't eat or drink, and her comb is completely drooped to the side. I figure it is dehydration, so I tried mixing some sugar and salt in some cool water for electrolytes, and she would gulp it right up out of the tiny cup I poured some in. I gave it to her periodically througout the evening until 11pm. Today she seemed more alert, but still weak and won't eat. She'll only drink the electrolyte water I'm giving her. It's 82°F right now. I sat her in the kiddie-pool with cool water and she practically fell asleep. Right now she's currently in a cat crate, snoozing by my bed with a fan on her. I just don't know what to do. She's attempted to eat cantaloupe and corn from my hand, but she'll pick it up, hold it in her mouth, then drop it. Any tips please!! I already broke down crying yesterday! :(

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  2. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh I'm sorry. I know how frustrating it is when they can't tell you what's wrong. Is she pooping at all and if so send a pic. It's a good sign that she's drinking on her own. Is it possible that she is broody? How old is she and has she been laying? How does her crop feel? Hard/squishy/full/empty? If her crop doesn't feel bloated or hard maybe try her with some boiled egg yolk or moistened chicken feed. Even plain yogurt. But if you suspect a crop issue better not not provide food right away. Any nasal or eye discharge?

3. angelholifield

Sep 16, 2015
    She hasn't pooped at all from what I can tell. I thought she was broody, because she was sitting on 5 eggs when I first came outside and saw her yesterday. But she didn't care at all for me to pet her, or touch or move the eggs. When I moved the eggs out of the coop, and picked her up and sat her outside the coop, she just turned around, went back inside and faced the wall. She'll drink, when I kinda lift her head, and she opens her eyes, and realizes I have water. She throws it back up every once in a while. Her crop feels squishy/empty, and I just tried the yogurt thing like you said. I dipped her beak into the cold yogurt and she "licked her lips" a little bit, opened her eyes, and then just closed them again.

4. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    Throwing up sounds like crop/intestinal problems. Worms can cause intestinal blockage, have you dewormed lately?

Keep giving her fluids and no food until she poops and you rule out intestinal blockage. Rule out being egg bound, too.

BYC has excellent article that Two Crow wrote on crop/intestinal diagnosis and treatment.

Feedstore have packets of electrolyte and packets of probiotics for chicks that are handy to have on hand. Mix a packet to a gallon of water.

5. angelholifield

Sep 16, 2015
    She pooped finally and this is what it looked like[​IMG]

6. angelholifield

Sep 16, 2015
    I definitely don't think worms. I constantly keep the coop clean, and all the birds clean and healthy. Plus all the others are perfectly normal.

7. 2crazyflockers

2crazyflockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2016
    yes electrolytes work wonders!! Sav a chick is what we use!

8. chickcrack

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree with Donna. It sounds like crop issue. Go to the Learning Center on here. Under articles is where you will find Two Crows information on crop issues and it has a great explanation on how to determine what you are dealing with and treatments. Keeping her cool, seperated and hydrated is most important right now so you're doing the right first steps! That poop looks very dark-was there anything fibrous in it that looked not quite digested?

9. chickcrack

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh and just about the worms...chickens get worms no matter how clean and well cared for they are. They pick them up by digging around and eating things outside. So it would be worth getting a fecal float done at a vets if possible. I just convinced my dog's vet to do one for my chickens and it cost $30 with results the next day-they did have roundworms which has been treated. If you are unable to find a vet to test there is lots of info on here about worming medications and where to find them

10. 2crazyflockers

2crazyflockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2016
    Does anyone on this thread know what to do for hen pecking wounds? I started a thread but no reply so far and I'm freaking out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by