Delaware Blue Hen - Cockeral or Pullet? Pics! 14 Weeks, DUW

ranchhand

Rest in Peace 1956-2011
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
SC
Not a well known breed, and not recognized by the APA (yet), Delaware Blue Hens are hard to sex until you hear a crow or see an egg! (for more info, see the link in my signature line) Very few people have them, but I am hoping for some input!

I lost my only DBH rooster back in the early summer and I was hoping this one was a roo. I sat outside for many evenings, trying for good pics. These little birds are lightning fast, so good pics are hard to come by. It is a few days shy of 14 weeks. Thanks for any opinions.
big_smile.png

14937_worzel_or_worzellette.jpg

14937_worzel.jpg

The one on the left -

14937_uh_oh1.jpg

These are small, game type bodied birds. The comb and wattles have been screaming red for a month now. Thanks!

Last edited:
Looks rooish to me. But, I have no experience with Delaware Blue Hens. All I know for sure is that they are all suppose to be descended for one orginal blue hen. They look as if they have alot of game in them.

That is a definite boy !!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!
ya.gif

hmm.png
Ummm, after closer observations....I am 2nd guessing my boy thoughts... I posted that pic of Ceasar and noticed a big difference.

Last edited:
Uh, Bec? How long ya gonna hop the fence?
lau.gif

YOUR grandchild, ya know!
gig.gif

I know! I just can't decide!!!!
lol.png
The girls do tend to have a long tail that sticks straight out the back like "his" But then "his" comb is kinda big, but "his" hackles don't looks very shiny and pointy...
barnie.gif

Just beware, I may hop again if I look long enough!
wink.png

Sally, are DBH like other chickens, where the saddle feathers tell all? Shell-round saddle feathers are pullet. Long pencil-thin saddle feathers are roo. Tail isn't as important as saddle feathers. But, if the tail starts to sickle, that is a roo, too. Can't really see the saddle feathers in this pic.

Back
Top Bottom