Delaware Blue Hen - Cockeral or Pullet? Pics! 14 Weeks, DUW

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ranchhand, Aug 10, 2010.

1. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Not a well known breed, and not recognized by the APA (yet), Delaware Blue Hens are hard to sex until you hear a crow or see an egg! (for more info, see the link in my signature line) Very few people have them, but I am hoping for some input!

I lost my only DBH rooster back in the early summer and I was hoping this one was a roo. I sat outside for many evenings, trying for good pics. These little birds are lightning fast, so good pics are hard to come by. It is a few days shy of 14 weeks. Thanks for any opinions. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one on the left -

[​IMG]

These are small, game type bodied birds. The comb and wattles have been screaming red for a month now. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I am going to go with roo from looking at the tail. Comb seems really large as well for that age.

3. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Looks rooish to me. But, I have no experience with Delaware Blue Hens. All I know for sure is that they are all suppose to be descended for one orginal blue hen. They look as if they have alot of game in them.

4. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

That is a definite boy !!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!! [​IMG]

[​IMG] Ummm, after closer observations....I am 2nd guessing my boy thoughts... I posted that pic of Ceasar and noticed a big difference.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  5. Bec

Here is a very young Ceasar

[​IMG]

6. Bec

I actually think I am going to have to go with girl...I just studied some pics of Corky and they didn't look like that!

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Uh, Bec? How long ya gonna hop the fence? [​IMG]

YOUR grandchild, ya know! [​IMG]

8. Bec

I know! I just can't decide!!!! [​IMG] The girls do tend to have a long tail that sticks straight out the back like "his" But then "his" comb is kinda big, but "his" hackles don't looks very shiny and pointy... [​IMG]

Just beware, I may hop again if I look long enough! [​IMG]

9. Bec

I know you have plenty of girls but here is a pic of Ceasar and some girls

[​IMG]

10. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Sally, are DBH like other chickens, where the saddle feathers tell all? Shell-round saddle feathers are pullet. Long pencil-thin saddle feathers are roo. Tail isn't as important as saddle feathers. But, if the tail starts to sickle, that is a roo, too. Can't really see the saddle feathers in this pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by