Delaware Blue

I saw your post and was intrigued so I did some research and this is what I found:
de_blue_hen_chicken.jpg

From Netstate

On April 14, 1939, the Delaware General Assembly made the "Blue Hen Chicken" the official state bird of Delaware.

In fact, the "Blue Hen Chicken" is not a recognized breed and its selection as the state bird relates to historical events more than to a natural association of the bird with the state of Delaware.

Though not a recognized breed, work has been done to develop a strain of blue chickens that might propagate reliably. The University of Delaware's College of Agricultural and Natural Resources maintains a breeding group of Blue Hen chickens on the campus farm. Typically, however, only about half of the chicks produced by blue parents will have blue feathers. The remaining chicks will be solid black or white and black.

Historical information is not always as accurate as we might wish but, regardless, the historical background related to the rise of the "Blue Hen Chicken" to the stature of official Delaware state bird and to the nickname given to the University of Delaware athletic teams is quite interesting

I also saw hatching eggs for sale on eggbid

I am very curious as well and I hope this info helps you.

Good Luck, Adam

Oh I just found a lovely painting
blue_hen_chicken.gif

Last edited:
WOW, THANKS!!!! gorgeous.. we found the eggs on eggbid last night. and placed a bid.. will be very interesting to see how they turn out :O)
Denna

Yep.. due to hatch around the first of the month.. we won 6 but she sent 18
lol.png

so hoping at least 9 come out of the hatch.. VERY well packed and in great shape.. none broke or cracked.. very happy with the eggs and the shipping..
Denna

Congrats fdnick!!!! Some how I always come across you, I don't know why.
lau.gif
Good luck with your hatch. My cohins will be here Friday so wish me luck.

YEAY... the ones we got from Ideal were a week old on wednesday.. all 28 are healthy and doing great.. you are going to love the little feather footed guys
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom