Delaware Chick Acting Semi-Lethargic, 4 Weeks Old as of Friday

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PepsNick, Feb 23, 2011.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    One of my chicks from my Delaware bunch, which will be 4 weeks old as of Friday, has always acted semi-lethargic. It grows slower than the others, sleeps a lot, loves to always be on the plush toy and under the heat lamp. It eats and drinks fine, but isn't always so interested in it. Poop is normal. I believe that it is fine and all- but I was wondering if there's any boost I can give it, or if I should add electrolytes to it's water, or some extra vitamins maybe? I can separate it from the rest of the bunch to do that.

If it is a pullet, which I'm pretty sure of at this point, I might keep it, though there are two other "pullets" that I would like to keep that have more coloring.

Also, I plan on vaccinating the bunch for NC/IB and MG this week. Will that be okay for this chick?

Thank you, in advance.

Nick

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I forgot to mention that her middle toe on her left leg is crooked. Should I put her in one of those little shoe things?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nick, is that the one that I was wondering about when you picked them up? This last few batches has been more trouble than normal, and all of them that had issues belonged to Georgie.

We just euthanized the 5 day old baby that hatched last because it would not eat or drink on its own and wasn't growing. I'm sorry if your little one isn't doing well--she was eating and acting okay, nothing I could pinpoint when you picked them up or I promise, I wouldn't have sent her home with you. Must be some deficiency in Georgie since these with issue were all hers. Ellie's are fine and the others from Georgie are also fine. Weird bunch of chicks for some reason. Well, no more babies for Miss Georgie.

You can give her vitamins like the liquid baby vitamins Poly Vi Sol (without iron), a couple drops in her beak once a day, but other than that, I'm not sure there's anything else. Hope she perks up for you soon. I wouldn't worry about her toe right now. This one we culled today had a middle toe that had a "kink" in it, too, obviously another issue related to its mother.

If she is there when you vaccinate the others, I'd do her, too. No reason to think that would hurt anything that I'm aware of.

4. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Thank you, Cyn! I'll give her the vitamins. No need to apologize- she's always been like this and I love her anyway. She is the sweetest of them. I've named her Luna, that will stick if she stays with us.

I really do think she's fine, but would like to "pip" her up a bit. Thanks!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I hate when I see the difference in a chick, but it's eating and drinking and there are really no symptoms other than it's just not as active. I kept watching that one before you got here and I mentioned then that it was a bit slower than the others, but just couldn't really put my finger on anything specific. Hope she perks up for you. Our little one wasn't trying to keep itself alive at all. It was drinking, then suddenly, it refused to eat or drink except for a bite or two of chopped egg, but that wasn't going to keep it going and it was falling behind fast.

On the other hand, the rest of them are crazy nutty!

6. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    As I said on the society, I set the chicks up with a little welded wire playpen with poultry netting to cover it and Luna was very happy then, and very interested in running around and scratching on the ground. They spend about 3-4 hours in the pen every afternoon now, and it's great to see her so active.

Yep, crazy nutballs are what they are!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by