Delaware Chicken Questions

puffypuff

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 17, 2014
Hello, I have a few questions about the Delaware breed. I had gotten a chicken almost 1 month ago or so for free but did not know the breed. Only recently have I noticed her similarities to the Delaware breed.
Pic:

The previous owner said she was 4 months old. About 2 weeks ago, I've changed her diet to pellets (as recommended by the store run manager)
After that, she shed for a little and her new feathers coming out have turned a beige color on her back. More and more are growing out and she has lost all her tail feathers but 1 since last week. I've been checking for regrowth of them but I cant really see. The last tail feather on her butt seems a little shaky, it looks like its shaking, I don't know how to explain it.
Anyone have any tips with this breed / can confirm my bird is this breed? I think she is mixed. Also, her comb is very small and pale. When will it turn the dark vibrant red I see on other hens?
Thanks!

She is mostly Delaware, but her tail angle is super high and her body is very narrow, almost Leghorn-ish. Many hatcheries have abysmal Delawares, though, so hard to say what's in her, really.

She's probably a mix, though. The Delaware coloring is very strong, for lack of a better term, when crossed with other breeds. I've bred my Delaware rooster with several different breed hens and usually get something with Dellie coloring, but less of the Delaware body type.

Last edited:
The standard of Perfection narrows the large fowl breed by where it originated from (there are two exceptions to this rule). The Delaware come from America from the Java chicken. All or most American breeds have yellow legs and yellow skin. It's obvious that there's something else in your pullet here but it's unclear what. They often do crossbreds to create a better production rate.

I have to say that many Delaware breeders would love to have that beautiful bright yellow leg color in their lines. Some have had to contend with greenish, dusky looking leg color in their Delawares. Thankfully, I haven't had to do that because it's hard to get rid of that. As the other poster said, the cross had to be a yellow legged breed or her leg color wouldn't be so bright and clean.

Last edited:
The standard of Perfection narrows the large fowl breed by where it originated from (there are two exceptions to this rule). The Delaware come from America from the Java chicken. All or most American breeds have yellow legs and yellow skin. It's obvious that there's something else in your pullet here but it's unclear what. They often do crossbreds to create a better production rate.
Sorry, that is not correct -the Delaware came as a surprise "sport" from a Barred Rock rooster over a New Hampshire hen back in the 40's. The white bird was then propagated and we got our Delaware, which then became almost extinct when the Cornish X became the new preferred meat bird. The first American chicken breed was the Dominique.

Your statement whooshed right by me yesterday, being exhausted from a quickie coop build, or I'd have mentioned it then.

Last edited:
Yes you are correct that see is Delaware. It's unclear if she's crossbred or not showing too many breed characteristics. But the yellow legs indicate that it's an American Breed. Only two (I beleive) breeds come in columbian.

Yes you are correct that see is Delaware. It's unclear if she's crossbred or not showing too many breed characteristics. But the yellow legs indicate that it's an American Breed. Only two (I beleive) breeds come in columbian.
Thanks for the reply!
I don't know much about breeds. So that means she can be a variety of American breeds or is it narrowed down? Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies guys! Have you ever had a change of coloring from your Delaware when they molted? Any tips on the comb? Thank you guys so much. I'm really grateful.

A 100% Delaware should NEVER change color when they molt. They may get more white or more black, but there will never be any "off" colors.

My Dellie rooster in my avatar produced a son with my dark red mixed breed hen. The son looked almost identical to his father, EXCEPT for some stray red streaks and feathers in places. He was only 1/2 Delaware, 1/2 Ameraucana and 1/2 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. My pure Delawares have no other colors but black and white.

Her comb is like that because she's young, probably 15-17 weeks old, or thereabouts. It will enlarge and change color as she matures.

Last edited:
Interesting! I must look at a breed with beige coloring and yellow legs, but also a small comb since she seems to have those traits. : )

Back
Top Bottom