delaware chicks have green legs?

chickabator

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
ky
4 weeks ago I hatched out some delaware eggs (ebay) well dh went out today to feed them and some of them their shanks are green color the others have yellow like they are suppose to. is this normal? or did I get hoo dood again? the chicks look just like the others except their shanks have a green tint like an ameraucana. any clue to what is going on? I sure don't

Some Delaware chicks have leg color that looks sort of greenish or willowy or even brown when they are chicks; this is because the genetics for dark coloring in the deep tissue varies, and chicks don't have their adult shanks yet. Usually, when the chicks get older and their skin gets thicker, the dark coloration underneath no longer shows, and the shanks look yellow as they are supposed to. I've seen this a lot. Basically, you need to wait and see if the color changes as the chicks grow. Usually, it will.

I can post pics tomorrow right now they are outside in their brooder house and it is cold and I am already sick so it will be tomorrow before I can post.

also thank you for letting me know about the color.

the seller said that they are seperated in a pen by theirselves and they are purebred so that is all I have to go by

Back
Top Bottom