Delaware Cockerel, 23 Wks Old ((No Longer Avail))/N. GA.

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by speckledhen, Dec 10, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

After much consideration and talks with the breeder, I have decided to sell my Del cockerel, Jake, who is 23 weeks old (hatched July 9). Since this breed is highly endangered and hatcheries aren't turning out great ones, I want to be extremely picky about the ones I keep, especially the rooster. Jake's comb doesn't match the standard as well as I would like and he's quite jumpy since the hormones have started raging and he's mating his girls. He is very handsome, comes from good stock, and is filling out to be a wonderful body type, size and color contrast. I'll be hatching more later in order to grow out another cockerel for my Delaware flock. (((FREE)))Pickup Only/no shipping.
    If no one wants him, I may just process my first chicken. Seriously.

Here is a recent pic of Jake.
    [​IMG]

Did it. He's gone to that Great Roost in the Sky...and my crockpot. Sorry, bud, you earned it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Cyn he is Handsome! What exactly do you look for in a Delaware cockerel? I am still struggling on picking a Boy to keep. I think I will keep one of each, just worried about the 4 girls I have. If I do, I would need more girls asap right? Hope your handsome guy gets a good home!

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Cyn, where are you because I could cover this group with a Del Cockeral and improve size and be a happy camper. I've been looking for the right older cockeral/ adult Roo for a bit now. I just have to see if I can get to you [​IMG] Yes, of course I deleted your address, I'm a moron... chuckle. Cher

4. speckledhen

Chere, sent you a PM. [​IMG]

Lanissa, the only physical issue with Jake is his comb. The standard calls for five well-defined points, and his has sort of serrated points, for lack of a better word. He has excellent size and color contrast, IMO, but I'm being very, very picky in the stock I start with on this project because of how endangered these birds are. Many hatchery Delawares are too narrow-chested, from what I've seen, just like hatchery BRs. Jake's body type seems great, even though he's just 22 weeks old and will fill out even more with time.
    My personal standard has temperament at the top of the list. Though some are used to dealing with nervous, jumpy roosters, my DH and I dont like keeping those. I like a rooster I can pick up anytime I need or want to and he wont act like we're going to eat him on the spot. Since Jake is in the raging hormones stage, he's become a bit jumpy and seems a bit fearful, though till recently, he's been just fine, even very friendly and curious. I just frankly dont want to deal with any of that; perhaps I've been a bit spoiled with my wonderful boys. Anyway, with this project, I want to start out with absolutely stellar examples of the breed. That way, there are fewer culls.
    Jake is very handsome and is getting really big now. I'm sure he'd produce some nice babies, but as I said, I'm being extremely picky with this breed. Though he comes from excellent lineage, we just never know exactly how those genes will combine. I suppose that his teenage hormones influencing his behavior makes it easier to do what I must (cull for comb type, etc).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    He's coming here! I need a fairly mature boy, and we'll see how he turns out when he's got the BA girls to keep him busy. Since I'm improving a PR flock his comb won't matter and a good broad bird I need to work with. Can't wait to see you Cyn!

And the cooler I bought on EBAY should be here soon so I can make my new bator.

All going in the right direction... Hooray.

6. speckledhen

Look forward to seeing you on Tuesday! [​IMG]

7. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    It's a nice drive, Chere, you'll enjoy it! [​IMG]

8. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    why are u so far! ive had my eye on jake for a while now lol....will you ship chicks in the spring? i like how picky you are!!

9. speckledhen

Nope, I'd rather not get into shipping chicks, sorry. I will sell hatching eggs when I grow out another cockerel for the girls and add some girls, though. I prefer to put these eggs in the hands of people who are aware of the critical status of the breed and want to help the effort to keep it going and sounds like you're one of those. I know I could sell so many chicks if I lived closer to other BYCers. It's when I have an extra cockerel to get rid of that I really wish I did.

10. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    yes, i am very intersted in preserving the breed. Im just getting into the dellies, I have 25 day olds on there way here now, should be here today or tomorrow. Unfortunately they are hatchery birds, but they are a small hatchery (Texas Poultry) so I am hoping they will be better than most. I figure I have to start somewhere. Any chance I get to have some better ones, though, I will buy them and slowly start filtering out the bad ones. Im pretty excited!!! These will be my main birds that I will raise!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by