Delaware Cockerel, 23 Wks Old ((No Longer Avail))/N. GA.

Me, too. Just have to get a set of egg after the first of the year and hatch me a new cockerel for my two pretty ladies. Jake went to "freezer camp". Well, actually, he may not make it into the freezer. He did make it to the fridge, though, and may be dinner tomorrow.
hmm.png
If I'm going to supply some of you with this breed, I want those chicks to come from a really great sire. Jake was a beautiful boy, but the comb flaw and his temperament of late just weren't up to par. I want to start with great birds, especially in this breed.

Bet he tastes good!!!!
lau.gif

Poor Jake, but I bet his attitude made the decision easier....

I feel blessed to have such sweet boys, the only issue I have is that a certain Blue Mix Orp boy begs to be held
gig.gif

Then the other Blue Orp Boy in that pen also begs to be held, which means I end up with a bird under each arm and no way to do anything else, I guess I need a couple more arms
th.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
You finaly did it ! I guess this guy was a real rotten egg because I never though you would eat them.

Henry

Henry, someone said to me recently that in these tough times, it's an honorable mission for a cockerel to become dinner. And I got to thinking that if he was going to become someone else's problem (knowingly-I'd never sell or even give away a rooster without full disclosure) and end up in a pot, it may as well be my pot!

Karen, that's the type of rooster I usually have here, the lap chicken type! I have been spoiled by Hawkeye, Suede, Dutch, Mace and Zane and a few others who went to good homes. I just choose not to take the extra time to watch my back out there with the birds.

Last edited:
I totally agree if I had kept the Marans another few weeks thats were they would go they were just to sweet though.

I am dying to know how he cooks up. This breed was on some of my earliest lists, but I could not find any anywhere besides the hatcheries, and the looks of them didn't match what I was reading in breed standards and on the ALBC's site. So I waited. And I am STILL waiting!

I would want them as a true dual-purpose chicken. And eye-candy.

Ninja, considering that he was 23 weeks old, we'll be making a chicken stew in the crock pot, I think. The only parts we actually kept were the breast meat and the leg quarters, which is really all we eat anyway. He sure had muscular legs and thighs! At least I know what he ate every day since hatch day and I know he was the picture of glowing good health. I'll let you know how the stew tastes! I will be growing out a new cockerel and pullets after the first of the year, so hopefully, I'll end up with about four or five girls to add to my two I have now and they'll all get a new man. I hope to be able to have some excellent Delawares to share with the BYC hatchaholics.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom