Delaware cockerels

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kryptoniteqhs, Jan 19, 2009.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Hello, these are my "Delaware" cockerels. They came as "pullets," but as you can see they are not. They are 5 weeks old. I dont like the way they look. I was hoping Seriousbill and Speckled Hen would chime in and tell me if theres any hope for these guys. They just dont look like delawares. They looks like a dross between a Dellie and a BR. Anyways is there any chance some of that black will go away and they'll look a little more like what theyre supposed to look like? Is this normal for their age? My pullets dont look like that (well maybe one or two of them do--but thats not bad out of 21 hatchery stock).

btw: this whole time ive been wondering "Whats going on with #2s tail?" I just now realized its a plastic bag. No worrys.

roo #1
    [​IMG]

roo #2
    [​IMG]

roo #3
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

They do appear to be pet/hatchery delaware cockerels. Looks like the last one needs some medical attention since his feet are bleeding.

3. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Agree, looks like hatchery-quality Delawares.

4. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Quote:his feet are not bleeding. They are just red like that. I dont know why. I forgot to ask that on here. One of them got caught in a chain link fence (trying to go through it, yes through it). Its foot was sore. I wasnt home, I was on vacation, but they said it didnt bleed at all, just was sore for a bit and then was fine. This one to me looks more like a peck mark. I dont think its serious and I didnt think there was anything I should really do for it other than keep an eye on it. Its not swollen or bleeding or infected. I think the red is just dried blood. Ill go get him and take a closer look. Should I put neo-sporin on it or anything else?

5. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Quote:so they wont grow out of the black anymore?? are they done with that part? or will they possibly improve a little. I just cant see selling them as Delawares when they barely even look like it lol

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Don't worry, the black will go away. They're too young to determine how they'll look as adults -- except to say they are cockerels and could end up looking like my Rooster Boy. [​IMG]

7. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Quote:I agree. What they look like now is definitely not what they'll end up looking like as adults. If you can keep them long enough for them to go through a molt or two, you'll be surprised I'm sure. [​IMG]

8. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

If it's any consolation [​IMG] , krypto, I've got 5 Dellie cockerels right now, 7 weeks old, that I'm trying to hang on to until they get a little older...I just can't tell yet which one is going to have the best type and color.

9. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    ya thats what i was thinking of doing from the beginning, but since they were so much darker than the others i didnt know if they had a chance to become beautiful again haha

10. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Here is one of the Delaware pullets from the same hatch. She is a tad on the small side and I dont like her tail "markings", but other than that I think she is nice. There are several others like her. Again, 5 weeks old. She DOES have some barring on her hackles, but you cant see it in these pictures because its so little.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by