1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Delaware cross ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dadof4, May 5, 2009.

1. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    I know it is not a pure thing but.... I have a Delaware roo that is very lonely. I was thinking of putting in one of my girls with him to keep him company. If I do, and I decide to hatch, who should I use? His options are a barred rock, an orp or a SL wyandotte. Any coments help or previous experience would get a big thanks.

2. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

I think you do what you want to do or if he has a favorite hen you can use her. Me personally I would cross him with an orbington as that would be an intresting bird [​IMG] good luck! [​IMG]

3. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:It doesn't matter which hen you choose, since the chicks will be a cross. But, I will warn you that, generally speaking, Delaware roos are vigorous breeders, and if you put only one hen in with him, he may wear out the feathers on her back. Just FYI.

4. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I would put one of each in with him and take a couple of eggs from each hen to hatch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by