Delaware eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pattycake, Dec 10, 2007.

1. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I know that Delawares sometimes get a bad rap around here, because they're pecky (and I have certainly piled on) BUT I have to say: they are wonderful layers. They lay almost every single day, big, shiny, pinkish brown eggs, with many double-yolkers. They're such petite looking birds so it's surprising to see those big old eggs.

I have gone from saying I would never get Delawares again, to thinking they're great!

Anyone else have this experience? [​IMG]

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    We hatched 15 from 26 eggs last month. They are around 3 weeks old now and
    really nice. I bought them on Ebay on a whim. We were gonna use them as meat
    birds but now they are turning out to be very cool birds. The girl we got them from
    warned about being aggressive and not to use red heat lamps.

If they continue to be as friendly and nonaggressive towards the other chicks then
    a few will end up in our pet/laying flock.

Other BYC members have mentioned friendly Delawares too.

Check out:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220160918123&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=012
    She emailed me back after the auction ended and said the shipping was a mixup
    and refunded me the difference so shipping wasn't $24.

3. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    They *are* friendly -- mine are always flying onto my shoulder. And since they've started laying, they don't peck me anywhere near as much as they used to.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think the breed in general is friendly and lays extra large to jumbo eggs. Kate (helmstead) had a hen who laid humongous ones. I believe that some hatchery bred a strain of aggressive Delawares at some point and that's what we've been seeing. I doubt they truly represent the breed.

5. EmsoffLambs

EmsoffLambs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2007
    Chilcoot, CA
    Hmm, that's interesting to hear that Delewares have a reputation for being pecky. I got some light brahmas and dark cornish, then a couple months later some Delewares. My brahmas and cornish have never once pecked me, but my Delewares do all the time! Never hard and I think it's more curiosity than aggression. They just give me a light peck when my hand gets within range. They've always gotten along with all the other chooks though, so I definately wouldn't call them aggressive. Still waiting on eggs from them, so I can't comment on that. Oh, and mine came from Privette.

6. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    Here at the University of Delaware, the football team is called The Fighting Blue Hens. As I understand it, these birds were bred for fighting and aggression. Other than giving my bulldog a hard peck in the nose once in a while to keep her in line, my two Delawares are what I would consider outgoing and sociable (much more so than my Cuckoo Maran and Ameraucana, who couldn't care less about me).

That being said, my girls hatched in early July, and I haven't gotten a single egg out of any of 'em!
    [​IMG]

7. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I love my Delawares and I've gotten Jumbo eggs already from a couple of my girls. My mother has dibbs on those! They have never pecked me or even acted like they were going too. I even have more eggs coming in the mail to hatch out next. Zaxby was the only roo in the batch of chicks I bought and decided to keep him I'm so glad I did he is great to his girls and just a all round great bird.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This is what I mean. Twila got the textbook version of the Delaware. I got "Vampire Chicks". Just a bad strain. They injured a bunch of other chicks, one cockerel in particular wanted to remove my fingers, they screamed like they were on the dinner menu when I tried to handle them, just a horrible bunch. I hatched these myself, but they came from a pair that turned aggressive as well.

9. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    Mine (I have 2) are curious, ornery, thieving little bandits! Did I mention that I LOVE them? Their personalities are so outgoing and cool. They always try to steal my jewelry! I just have to remember not to wear earrings when I sit near them. LOL

10. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    I love my Delawares! - They still haven't laid [​IMG]
    but they're very cuddly. They each have their own personality. One is more independent and the other one loves to sit on my lap and tuck her head underneath my arm(wing [​IMG]).
    She's so cute! She even makes little grunting noises when she's in my armpit trying to find a comfortable spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by