Delaware genetics for dummies?

popcornpuppy

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Holland, Massachusetts
Yes there is a thread on discussing how wonderful the Delaware breed is, the only problem is that most of us who partake in that thread have limited knowlegde of genetics. Is there a genetics "expert" out there who can explain to us in layman's terms about the genetics of the Delaware breed? I know there are barring genes, silver genes, wild genes and so on but I get lost with abriviations and what genes are dominant, what genens are not desireable and so on.

The Dels came from a Barred Rock and New Hampshire Red cross that produced some silver "sports. Those sports were then crossed to get closer to the Delaware. My first question is where did the silver come from (one bird was red and the other was barred). And remember we need explinations "for dummies"
big_smile.png

I am sitting dutifully in the back row, with my pen and notebook, waiting for the teacher to show up!

Meaning, I don't know beans either, but would like to!

There is that saying- when the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear! So there are at least three of us pupils!!!
smile.png

I have been googling chicken genetics and Delaware genetics for a couple of hours now and I can't find anything. The websites that interest me the most come up "page cannot be found." I hate that. Everything else is from Universities and written in a science-y language that I don't understand.

The class is getting restless waiting for teacher (any teacher)
roll.png

I'm no expert and cannot explain much. This is what I have been using in the cross calculator for Delaware which seems to give the right results. The way I understand it, the barring is a sex link barring, meaning that the male offspring of a Delaware hen will be barred but the female will not, provided the female offspring does not get the barring from the father. I believe any offspring of the Delaware male will be barred.

Delaware

Female
E^wh/E^wh
CoCo
dbdb
pgpg
mlml
ChaCha
mhmh
didi
lglg
cbcb
S
B cuckoo
Choc
ii
blbl
MoMo
CC
LavLav

Don't know if this helps any or not. I'll subscribe and hope the experts straighten me out.

Quote:
The Delaware was not crossed with the Cornish, what that artcle means is that Delaware's were the top choice for meat birds until the Cornish was developed. At that point, the Cornish was used as meat birds instead of the Delaware.

And Ridgerunner: thanks for the imput any information is helpful, but I get lost with all the

Female
E^wh/E^wh
CoCo
dbdb
pgpg
mlml
ChaCha
mhmh
didi
lglg
cbcb
S