Delaware laying small eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Doodadman, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Doodadman

Doodadman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    My 21 week old Delaware has started laying. 4 eggs in 4 days. All small eggs, about half the size of what I would expect. Delawares are noted for their large size eggs. I realize she started laying very early but will the eggs get bigger? With my other girls it has always been the case the the egg size remain just about the same.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    My Del pullets lay between a medium and a extra large, but their second year I have gotten some whoppers extra large to jumbo in size. I get average 6 eggs a week from each bird. I love the Delaware's!

3. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I have also heard that eggs start smaller and do increase pretty quickly. After a molt the rate of laying slows while the size of eggs increase, generally speaking.

I am anxious to get Delawares next year as I try to expand the flock and get more eggs. They seem to be a great egg laying variety that are well mannered, and are very beautiful as well. The problem is that I will need to order them from a hatchery as no local purveyor has the breed for sale. That isn't really a problem but I always worry about the mail order arriving on time!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by