Delaware over Dominique. Sex link?

Redhead Rae

Chickens, chickens everywhere!
7 Years
Jan 4, 2017
Braxton County, WV
I am wondering which rooster I should cross with my Dominique and Dom cross hens next (all hens have barring).

I have eggs under a broody from my Black Cochin Roo over these hens. They should hatch this weekend. After they do hatch, I was considering putting one of my New Hampshire or Delaware roosters in with them. I know the red rooster would produce sex linked chicks, but would the Delaware? I got interested in the Delaware/Dominique cross after I saw how pretty a Delaware/Barred Rock rooster was.

Thanks!

Delawares are silver based, so not dominant white.

So if you use a Delaware rooster over a Dominque hen, I think you should get sex linking...girls black and boys barred.

LofMc

Simple answer...as I understand it, yes, the girls will be black not silver.

While dad's Z chromosome carries silver and goes to all the chicks, and the barring is attached to mom's Z chromosome which only goes to the boys (ZZ), as I understand it, mom's W chromosome still carries some ground color which is black, and that would be dominant over the silver....as I understand it.

I will ask @junebuggena to weigh in on this for a better interpretation or to correct any of my errors.

LofMc

...and I found a partial answer here
https://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/08/05/gms6-sex-linkage/

The reason silver doesn't work on this cross is because silver only inhibits red/gold.

Your barred hen is black ground color with barring genetics (color inhibitor).

The black ground color carries to all chicks, but only the male chicks get the barring inhibitor. Silver will not affect black.

LofMc

3 of my hens are crosses and have significant bleed through of their mothers' colors on the chests and heads (2 with buff, 1 with red). Would that effect the coloring of the female chicks?

3 of my hens are crosses and have significant bleed through of their mothers' colors on the chests and heads (2 with buff, 1 with red). Would that effect the coloring of the female chicks?

The silver will not let the red/gold express, but won't prevent black.

Good question on the columbian gene...yes, I think Delawares are barred only at hackles due to the columbian gene....and I'm not sure how that is not part of the equation, but I've seen Delaware x Barred crosses and the girls are black and the boys are barred.

Hopefully someone with deeper genetic understanding can help us out.

LofMc

I think I'll definitely try Delaware/Dom next. After all, we have babies! Fresh hatched today!!!
IMG_6125.jpg
IMG_6128.jpg

Back
Top Bottom