1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Delaware Pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tcp97b, Jan 15, 2010.

1. tcp97b

tcp97b Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I don't want to ask, because I am afraid my 'she' will be a 'he'! I have a mix of breeds that I purchased from the feedstore. He thought they were all pullets, but this (what they said was a Delaware) one is making me wonder. They are approximately seven weeks old. The comb seems much more developed on the first one.

Here is the one in question:
    [​IMG]
    Here is another Delaware for comparision.
    [​IMG]

Thanks,

Ty

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The one in question in pic. #1 is a Rooster..

Chris

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hopefully SpeckledHen can give you a guess-I believe she raises Delawares. I have to say tho, I've got 3 JG's and they are all hens, but when they were little one did develop her comb and wattles sooner than the others did. So don't lose hope yet!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The first one looks like a cockerel. The girls never get huge combs that early. If you look at his back, there should be "smut" running from the hackles down the back, usually a male trait. Males and females are colored differently, though sometimes, the differences will be blurred by an exception to the rule.

5. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    It just looks like a roo!

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Roo

7. cutlass1972

cutlass1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    I have raised delawares, it is pretty obvious with that awesome comb it is a he.

8. tcp97b

tcp97b Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I took a couple of more pictures at lunch - feathers this time...

This is the 'roo suspect' (bottom) and one of the other Delawares (top) eating out of my hand.
    [​IMG]

Again, the suspect and another one of the gang.
    [​IMG]

The 'suspect' seems to be one of my ten that has the most personality so far, so I would hate to have to rehome him (or any others), but I live in town so a rooster won't work. The guy at the feedstore said if I had any roosters he would "Make it right".. but at this point there is no way I can return him to the little brooder they had. Our temps are finally forcast to be stable enough through next week that I'm putting them in the coop this weekend. I'm already anxious as it is, this is my first time out with chickens....

Thanks!

Ty

9. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Definately a roo!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No question. BOY!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by