Delaware - Roo or Not?

H Diamond

Songster
5 Years
Jan 26, 2014
I ordered 3 Delewares that were supposed to be sexed as pullets. (I know they can mess up sometimes) They are one month old now and I'm not sure that one isn't a roo. It looks different than the other two. Thoughts?

I ordered 3 Delewares that were supposed to be sexed as pullets. (I know they can mess up sometimes) They are one month old now and I'm not sure that one isn't a roo. It looks different than the other two. Thoughts?

I think it might be a roo because it has a broader chest and longer tail feathers

He just looks like a "dude" to me, lol. And I just noticed I took these before I cleaned their waterer! Don't judge =P

Pullet. A Delaware cockerel of that age would have a HUGE honking comb already. Could be that it will pop out a comb later and I know hatchery stock varies (if that's where you got it) from heritage stock somewhat in the easy-to-sex department, but my males were very definite by that age 99% of the time.

Last edited:
Broad chests and longer tails have nothing to do with sexing them. In fact, shorter tails usually indicate a cockerel. You have all pullets.

Even by 3 weeks old, my Delaware cockerels' combs are turning pink and popping up. No question that is a pullet. As the previous poster said, a longer tail/earlier tail is usually a pullet, not a male.

This is a 6 week old Del male

Last edited:
Thanks!! She must just be an over achiever, lol! She is still one of the first ones to come investigate anything, and still larger than the other two. But she still doesn't have any major comb growth, so I'm pretty sure you guys know your stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom