1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Delaware - Roo or Not?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by H Diamond, Mar 8, 2014.

1. H Diamond

H Diamond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    I ordered 3 Delewares that were supposed to be sexed as pullets. (I know they can mess up sometimes) They are one month old now and I'm not sure that one isn't a roo. It looks different than the other two. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rooster buyer

rooster buyer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014

3. H Diamond

Jan 26, 2014
    He just looks like a "dude" to me, lol. And I just noticed I took these before I cleaned their waterer! Don't judge =P

4. MoototheCluck88

MoototheCluck88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably a rooster.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Pullet. A Delaware cockerel of that age would have a HUGE honking comb already. Could be that it will pop out a comb later and I know hatchery stock varies (if that's where you got it) from heritage stock somewhat in the easy-to-sex department, but my males were very definite by that age 99% of the time.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  6. mshuntjump

mshuntjump Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Broad chests and longer tails have nothing to do with sexing them. In fact, shorter tails usually indicate a cockerel. You have all pullets.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Even by 3 weeks old, my Delaware cockerels' combs are turning pink and popping up. No question that is a pullet. As the previous poster said, a longer tail/earlier tail is usually a pullet, not a male.

This is a 6 week old Del male
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  8. bhwk40

bhwk40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2013
    North-East Ohio
    pullets

9. H Diamond

Jan 26, 2014
    Thanks!! She must just be an over achiever, lol! She is still one of the first ones to come investigate anything, and still larger than the other two. But she still doesn't have any major comb growth, so I'm pretty sure you guys know your stuff :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by