1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Delaware roo or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hudsonhomestead, Apr 13, 2016.

1. hudsonhomestead

hudsonhomestead New Egg

Aug 15, 2015
    PNW
    hoping i still have a chance she's a she, but not sure :/ 9wks old... i have a couple pics of tail feathers, but my phone died before i could load them.. they are black but not solid, they have white on them too
    ideas???

[​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    That's a bit more red than I'd like to see at 9 weeks, but the comb is small. Delawares mature quickly, and you've got them maturing outside in the lengthening days, so maturity will come even sooner.

So, there is a chance this could be a maturing female who will lay a bit earlier (maybe by 18 to 20 weeks).

Watch the comb. If it gains in size and gets even redder, you will have a male. Also watch for curling tail feathers and any hint of saddle....right now, from that photo, I think it all looks pretty rounded for hen feathering (maybe a little hackle spike, but I've had plenty of girls with that too).

Both male and female Delawares have black/stripped trimmed tails...the males do have more tail trim than the females.

LofMc

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    a lot of things to look out for. Hope you end up with pullets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by