Delaware Roo x White Leghorn

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mikegar21, Jan 14, 2014.

1. mikegar21

mikegar21 New Egg

Jan 14, 2014
    I Currently have a Delaware Roo, and 4 different kinds of Hens.

White leghorn
    RIR
    Black Star
    Coo Coo Maran

2 questions,
    Has anyone ever bread a Delaware Roo with a white Leghorn??
    What color eggs will the offspring produce?? will the birds have black in their Fether Coloring??

Also, im waiting for the eggs to be large enough to put in the Incu.
    When they are big enough, how many should i try and put in there?
    I'd like at least 8 more hens.

any help would be GREAT!!

-Mike ( s.f. cali. )

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:A cross of Delaware Roo over a White leghorn will produce all yellow chicks at hatch and all of the birds will be all white when adults, showing little black here an there.. a cross of a Delaware roo over a RIR will produce Delaware looking chicks(yellow at hatch) and delaware looking hens, the Males will also appear delaware untill they mature and then will show straw/yellow hackle and saddles with the rest of the body white a cross of Delaware rooster over a Black star will produce 50% of the chicks yellow like delawares and 50% black like blackstars but with a yellow headspot.. the yellow ones will proudce bird the same as the RIR cross to delaware and the black chick will look like black stars with silver leaking instead of gold and Barring cross of Delawere rooster to cuckoo maran will produce all black chicks with head spot like cuckoo maran and when adults they will show silver leaking on the males body(beast, saddle and hackle) the females will look like barred birchen maran

3. mikegar21

mikegar21 New Egg

Jan 14, 2014
    Thanks for the quick response. Really appreciate the info!

Lastly, will the Delaware x Leghorn produce brown eggs?

Thanks again, really appreciate all the info

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    no, just cream color eggs, or very diluted brown

5. BarredRock12

BarredRock12 New Egg

Feb 18, 2014
    Whitwell, Tennessee
    What would a barred rock and a white leghorn make?
    I have 5 Chickens 4 hens, 1 rooster:
    . 1 Rhode Island Red Hen
    . 1 Black Australorp Hen
    . 2 White Leghorn Hens
    .1 Barred Rock Rooster

If anyone can find any pics of a barred rock rooster crossed with any of my hen breeds, will you please post them?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your barred rock rooster, if he is pure bred, will throw all barred babies. the Red hen's chicks could look similar to this in color
    [​IMG]
    Your Aussie hen's chicks are pretty much going to look like barred rock females, black with white barring.

Your leghorns probably have dominant white, so the chicks will technically be barred, but you won't be able to see it, they'll pretty much be white chickens, maybe with some spots/flecks of black scattered all over.

7. BarredRock12

BarredRock12 New Egg

Feb 18, 2014
    Whitwell, Tennessee
    Gosh Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by