Delaware rooster x Rhode Island Red hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TimG, Oct 17, 2009.

1. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    I've read somewhere that this should result in a bird with Delaware coloring. Can someone confirm this? Will it be true Delaware coloring, or will there be some red showing through, perhaps in the hackles?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

It ought to look like Light Sussex X RIR but with barring. So it would look very similar to Delaware colouring usually with brassy hackles & possible leakage on shoulders (of males).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  3. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    I have a freind who is doing this right now, Deleware crossed w RIRs,the roosters came out a lighter color some mottled some with some barring. the hens darker and they lay freakishly large eggs, I almost fainted when she pulled a box of thier eggs out to show me, they looked like super large goose eggs. My lord. They cover your entire hand, and on the egg scale it went off the chart so no idea without a digital scale how much that thing weighs.This time of year they are gearing down a little and the eggs are a little smaller , it will be interesting to see what happens next year, they had to buy goose egg trays for thier bators.and the hens are small.We were kidding him saying she laid that egg, then she must have died , that egg was too big for that chicken,,.
    He is crossing a deleware rooster on cinnamon queen, RIRs and cant remember the other. I had heard the deleware laid a good sized egg, but this cross egg layer is some sort of a freak, maybe it was just a lucky strike by him, I dont know, a couple of those eggs could feed an army. He seems to understand what he is after in his project.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  4. ShadyHoller

ShadyHoller Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Willamette Valley
    This is an old thread, I know, but I just stumbled upon it, and I have a picture of a DE x RIR, in case anyone is still interested.

[​IMG]

5. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Nice!

6. Leonbondo

Leonbondo New Egg

Feb 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. dottik

dottik Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2016
    pa
    i just incubated delaware rooster and r.r and plym rocks.would like to get link u had from up there.ty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by