1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Delaware slow to mature??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by boggerman, Nov 7, 2014.

1. boggerman

boggerman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Ireland
    Having had Rhode Island Reds for a few years now, we branched out and got 3 Plymouth Rocks, a Black Rock and a Delaware, to go with our 5 RIRs.
    After a bit of initial upset, most seem to be laying regularly, though we never get 10 eggs from our 10 hens in one day.
    I don't mind if they don't all lay every day, but my concern is over our Delaware - to my untrained eye, she has not matured. Her comb is still small and light in colour. We have always taken a large, red comb to be a sign of maturity.
    Ours looks like this:

Rather than this:

I'm not certain which hens are not laying, but based on the above info, I am assuming it's the Delaware.

Am I wrong? If not, is there anything I can do?

Help!

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    how old exactly are the rhode island reds and can you post a pic of the delaware you are concerned about (full body with comb, legs, feet and tail all in the picture)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by