Delaware standard

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CovenantCreek, Jan 13, 2008.

1. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Anyone know where I can get a copy of the Delaware standard of perfection without having to spend $60 to get the APA manual? I'm mainly interested in knowing just how much black is acceptable. At 3+ weeks, several of my chicks look like they'll be as spotted as leopard Appy............(or CA White if you prefer a chicken reference). In the event I do actually breed them, I don't want to use inferior stock.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  2. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I know the APA sells a soft cover, black and white standard of perfection. I think the price is around $15. They should sell it on their website.

Good luck!

Angie

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    check with 4-H chapter in your area, do you have a ag agent in your county??

4. RedStickLA

RedStickLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Here you go…
    This is what my American Standard of Perfection 1998 has for the Color of the Delaware.
    Hope it helps you…

DELAWARE
    COLOR -- MALE

COMB, FACE, WATTLES AND EAR-LOBES: Bright red.
    BEAK: Reddish horn.
    EYES: Reddish bay.
    HEAD: Plumage, white.
    NECK: Hackle – web of feather white, crossed with irregular indications of black barring; quill and shaft, white. Front of Neck – white.
    BACK AND SADDLE: White.
    TAIL: Main Tail – showing irregular indication of black and white barring, black predominating.
    Sickles and Coverts – showing irregular indistinct black and white barring; quills and shafts white.
    WINGS: Fronts, Bows, and Coverts – white.
    Primaries and Secondaries – showing irregular indication of black and white barring, the black predomination; quill and shaft white.
    BREST White.
    BODY AND FLUFF: White
    LEGS AND TOES: Lower Thighs – white.
    Shanks and Toes – rich yellow.
    UNDERCOLOR OF ALL SECTIONS: White

COLOR – FEMALE (I will only write what is different from above)

NECK: Hackle – showing irregular indications of black and white barring; entire web edged with white; quill and shaft, white. Front of Neck – white.
    BACK: White.
    TAIL: Main Tail – black, entire feather edged with white.
    Coverts – showing indication of irregular black and white barring, predominating white quill and shaft, white.
    WINGS: Fronts, Bows and Coverts – white.
    Primaries and Secondaries – showing slight indication of irregular black and white barring, the white~ predominating; quill and shaft, white.

5. CovenantCreek

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    RedStickLA, thank you very much! I appreciate the effort to type all that out.

6. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Hold out, I only have one Deleware, but I remember when she was feathering out I didn't think she was going to look like she was supposed to. As she got older she grew out more white feathering along her body. I can't remember how much black she had, but I wouldn't worry too much right now.

Stephanie

7. RedStickLA

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    You’re very welcome...
    I have a couple of Delaware...from Ideal and MM. I really like them. I tried to remember how they feathered out but can't [​IMG] so I am no help with that. I put in an order this year for some Delaware from Sandhill and I am anxious to get them. I can not wait to see how they turn out and what size eggs they will lay...Sandhill says their Delaware lay jumbo eggs with a lot of double yokers. I sell eggs at a local farmers market and everyone loves the double yokers...right now I save them for my favorite customers. Everyone tells me, "I can't believe you don't keep them for yourself"...but its fun to share them with others. It's like they are getting the golden egg in an Easter egg hunt![​IMG]

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I am getting 3 delaware pullets soon

9. CovenantCreek

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I think I have 6 or 7 pullets, and 7 or 8 roos. They move around too quickly to get a good count. The pullets will definitely stay somewhere, either as breeders or layers. It's the roos that I have to be more selective about.

10. RedStickLA

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Did you hatch them? Or did you get them from a Hatchery? I have 3 hens from Ideal and 2 from McMurry. No roo's...but Sandhill only sells st. run so I am planning on keeping 1 roo from my order from them. I am getting 10, hopefully there will be lots of pullets in the 10. [​IMG]

Mitzi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by