1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Delaware tail barring

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Strader, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Strader

Strader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    I was wanting to know if the Roosters tails are barred and the hens tails are not barred on Delawares?
    looks like I have some hens that are barred and some that have solid black tails with no barring. anyone know the standard for this?

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I'm not familiar with the APA standard for Delawares, but in those I've had and that I've seen over the years, the roosters' tails have always been barred, but some of the Delaware hens have had barred tails and others have lacked the barring.

3. Strader

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    I take that back evidently if their barred on the tail and the feathers are arched means rooster and solid black tail feathers that are straight means Hen.[​IMG]

4. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    P.S. With regard to APA standards (hatchery birds rarely live up to all the standards), you might want to post this question on our Exhibition, Genetics, and Breeding to the Standard of Perfection section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16188/exhibition-genetics-breeding-to-the-standard-of-perfection and get the opinion of our show experts there.

5. Strader

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    The ones i have are not hatchery birds. They are from a line that is great quality.

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I'll have to take your word on that. I don't know enough about the APA standards for Delawares to judge their quality, but I would think you could find them online somewhere. :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by